1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Two roosters one hen!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rhjack66, Aug 10, 2007.

1. rhjack66

rhjack66 Hatching

Jul 17, 2007
    I have a hen that I'm trying to breed with a new rooster. My old rooster got to her twice almost 2 weeks ago. Do you think eggs she is laying now are old rooster or the new rooster that I want it to be.

2. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Songster

Jul 11, 2007
    best to wait a couple days.

3. Gracefulspice

Gracefulspice Songster

Mar 25, 2007
    Pa
    I don't know if I'm right on this. If not someone will correct me I'm sure. But I think I read that a hen will lay fertile eggs for up to 2 weeks after breeding. Seems like a long time to me. But I'm pretty sure that was my understanding of it.

4. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member Premium Member 11 Years

Jan 11, 2007
    NE Washington State
    A hen can lay the eggs from a rooster for a few weeks after the rooster is removed. I would separate out the roo you don't want fertilizing her eggs and wait a month to be safe.

5. rhjack66

rhjack66 Hatching

Jul 17, 2007
    Quote:Thank you all for info.

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:I agree... I had my silkie hen in with a pure black silkie male and collected eggs to hatch 3 weeks after the black and brown silkie roo was removed.... I ended up with half the chicks pure black and half the chicks brown black!!!

7. rhjack66

rhjack66 Hatching

Jul 17, 2007
    Thanks, I may have the same problem then. My hen started setting Sunday. Half the eggs are over 2 weeks old and the other ones are about 3 weeks. Maybe 2 or 3 will be from second rooster. I want to get me some silkies. I had some years ago. Take care.

8. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I would get more hens if I were you. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: