Two roosters one hen!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rhjack66, Aug 10, 2007.

1. rhjack66

rhjack66 New Egg

Jul 17, 2007
    I have a hen that I'm trying to breed with a new rooster. My old rooster got to her twice almost 2 weeks ago. Do you think eggs she is laying now are old rooster or the new rooster that I want it to be.

2. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    best to wait a couple days.

3. Gracefulspice

Gracefulspice Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Pa
    I don't know if I'm right on this. If not someone will correct me I'm sure. But I think I read that a hen will lay fertile eggs for up to 2 weeks after breeding. Seems like a long time to me. But I'm pretty sure that was my understanding of it.

4. DuckLady

DuckLady Previously DuckLady! Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    A hen can lay the eggs from a rooster for a few weeks after the rooster is removed. I would separate out the roo you don't want fertilizing her eggs and wait a month to be safe.

5. rhjack66

rhjack66 New Egg

Jul 17, 2007
    Quote:Thank you all for info.

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:I agree... I had my silkie hen in with a pure black silkie male and collected eggs to hatch 3 weeks after the black and brown silkie roo was removed.... I ended up with half the chicks pure black and half the chicks brown black!!!

7. rhjack66

rhjack66 New Egg

Jul 17, 2007
    Thanks, I may have the same problem then. My hen started setting Sunday. Half the eggs are over 2 weeks old and the other ones are about 3 weeks. Maybe 2 or 3 will be from second rooster. I want to get me some silkies. I had some years ago. Take care.

8. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I would get more hens if I were you. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by