1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Two roosters together?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ValleyofRoses, Apr 4, 2011.

1. ValleyofRoses

ValleyofRoses In the Brooder

Mar 19, 2011
    Woodinville
    So here's my problem...I have a mixed flock(10 hens) with one large wellsummer cross rooster, and mostly large breed hens save for one Porcelain d'Uccle. She's my favorite chicken of the bunch, but HATES the rooster we have. She's always been the odd hen out, and is tiny compared to everyone else. The rooster keeps trying to do his thing, and scares her out of the pen (she can basically fly). I want to be able to add other small chickens into the flock like bantams, but I'm afraid the same thing will happen. I also want to be able to get fertilized eggs from the Porcelain and other small chickens. Now, I'm wondering, should I either split my flock into big chickens and little chickens? Or would I be able to get a small breed rooster and have him breed with the small hens and get along with the other roo?

I've read all sorts of different experiences on having more than one rooster, but I don't know what people think about how the size makes a difference. I'm thinking about a Polish roo since I've heard they are very calm. What do you guys suggest? I hate seeing my favorite hen unhappy. [​IMG]

2. I suggest you split the flock and keep the bantams seperate. The large cock will always assert his "cock of the walk" osition on ANY other rooster and, although banty roosters can be formidable, the alpha cock will be at the advantage in size and determination.Build other facilities..........Pop

3. ValleyofRoses

ValleyofRoses In the Brooder

Mar 19, 2011
    Woodinville
    Okay, thanks for your advice!

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I agree with splitting your flock. I can't see your big guy allowing another "dude" to just walk in and mate with HIS hens. And a polish would probably get the snot beat out of him, since they often can't see too well and are known to be fairly mild mannered.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by