Two Roosters Together?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by maria09, Sep 24, 2011.

1. maria09

maria09 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2011
    My Roosters Seem To Be Fighting The Whole Time. Should I Keep Them Seperately?

2. Uniontown Poultry

Uniontown Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Your roos may just be settling their pecking order, or else it could be something more complicated.
    Roosterfights can be caused by / affected by lots of different factors, so I've got some follow up Q's: [​IMG]

How big is your flock? (# boys, # girls, and are any of them silkies?)
    What kind of roosters (some more aggressive than others)?
    Amount of space in coop/pen?
    Age of roosters?
    How long have roosters been together?

3. Uniontown Poultry

Uniontown Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh yeah, and are they damaging each other, drawing blood, or some agression and occasional pecks all day, or is it mostly constant, aggressive displaying and sparring?

4. Mozelly

Mozelly Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2009
    If it's a small pen and the weaker rooster can't get away,you should separate. I have several roosters together most get along ,but for some reason one get's chased. He can easily get out of their way and they're not too aggressive.

5. maria09

maria09 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2011
    They are mixed breed..not pure silkies. There are 9 hens and 2 roos. The area they have is about 500 square meters.
    At first the one rooster was the dominant one and then they had a fight. We tried to seperate them but had to go out and when we came back the dominant rooster was missing. We found him hiding in pampas grasses and his eye was closed. His eye is fine now but now the other roo is the dominant one. They don't fight anymore but the one is continiously chasing the other one. Luckily they still sleep together.

6. nebishop

nebishop New Egg

Mar 8, 2012
    Hi Maria,

I was wondering how your rooster situation is? We are in the exact same situation now and I am curious to see if yours has worked out.

Our two guys have been best buds since day one.....usually dust bathing and sleeping together. Two weeks ago there was a major fight, and one of my guys gets chased quite often....things have improved.....but I'd like to hear what other's experiences have been.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by