Two roosters

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by candkbowden, Feb 11, 2017.

1. candkbowden

candkbowden Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2017
    Richmond County NC
    Hello and good evening I just this week have gotten two roosters and two hens form different people the two roosters are brothers is it ok to keep them in same coop with the two new hens or is this a bad idea

2. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under candkbowden [​IMG] Welcome!

I have no experience with roosters, we are not allowed to have them. However, through lots of reading on BYC over the years, I have learned that hens suffer badly from over mating issues if the hen to rooster ratio is not a good one. Two roosters and two hens is not a good ratio and I believe not only will your hens be over mated, your boys will probably also fight over them.

But, as I said, that is just what I have gleaned from reading and hopefully someone with rooster experience will also chime in.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Generally one rooster can handle 10 hens, less than that and the poor girls can be damaged. For two roosters you would need 20 hens. If you don't intend to sell or hatch fertile eggs, the hens will be thrilled if there were NO roosters. They will continue to lay the same amount of eggs - albeit non fertile ones.

4. IdyllwildAcres

IdyllwildAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC

Two roosters two hens...

I would not do it

Good luck

Gary

5. candkbowden

Feb 11, 2017
    Richmond County NC
    Thanks for replying I'll have to see if I can find someone to take the other rooster off my hands

6. IdyllwildAcres

IdyllwildAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

You still will need more hens....

Good luck

Gary

7. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I agree with the other greeters...1 rooster to 8-10 hens is a good ratio. You'll need more hens to keep even 1 rooster to avoid the over-mating issues mentioned. Of course, if you only want the hens for eggs, you don't need a rooster at all.

Good luck finding a new home for your extra roo, there's always a surplus of them. You might just want to consider sending them to freezer camp.

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! I will join the chorus - most would say you have one rooster too many...some would say you have two roosters too many! [​IMG] Someone should be able to take one off your hands, though. Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!

9. candkbowden

Feb 11, 2017
    Richmond County NC
    Anyone in NC need to lighten the load of hens please let me know if you are close to Rockingham,NC[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to the big, happy BYC family! I am so glad you joined us, please make yourself at home. I hope you will enjoy it here as much as I have! :frow

~Cuz

(If it makes you feel any better, I have five roosters....:p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by