Two roosters

candkbowden

In the Brooder
Feb 11, 2017
Richmond County NC
Hello and good evening I just this week have gotten two roosters and two hens form different people the two roosters are brothers is it ok to keep them in same coop with the two new hens or is this a bad idea

G’Day from down under candkbowden
frow.gif
Welcome!

I have no experience with roosters, we are not allowed to have them. However, through lots of reading on BYC over the years, I have learned that hens suffer badly from over mating issues if the hen to rooster ratio is not a good one. Two roosters and two hens is not a good ratio and I believe not only will your hens be over mated, your boys will probably also fight over them.

But, as I said, that is just what I have gleaned from reading and hopefully someone with rooster experience will also chime in.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

Last edited:
Generally one rooster can handle 10 hens, less than that and the poor girls can be damaged. For two roosters you would need 20 hens. If you don't intend to sell or hatch fertile eggs, the hens will be thrilled if there were NO roosters. They will continue to lay the same amount of eggs - albeit non fertile ones.

welcome-byc.gif

I agree with the other greeters...1 rooster to 8-10 hens is a good ratio. You'll need more hens to keep even 1 rooster to avoid the over-mating issues mentioned. Of course, if you only want the hens for eggs, you don't need a rooster at all.

Good luck finding a new home for your extra roo, there's always a surplus of them. You might just want to consider sending them to freezer camp.

Greetings from Kansas and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined our community! I will join the chorus - most would say you have one rooster too many...some would say you have two roosters too many!
wink.png
Someone should be able to take one off your hands, though. Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!

Hello there, and welcome to the big, happy BYC family! I am so glad you joined us, please make yourself at home. I hope you will enjoy it here as much as I have! :frow

~Cuz

(If it makes you feel any better, I have five roosters....:p

Back
Top Bottom