Two roosts over one board

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sunshinewish, Feb 13, 2017.

1. sunshinewish

sunshinewish Just Hatched

Feb 12, 2017
    Hi, I hope to eventually have 20 chickens and house them in a 6x10 coop. The most ideal configuration would be to put a poop board against one of the 10 foot walls and have 2 roosts above it. The board would be elevated above the floor to accommodate a pen beneath it.

1. In this situation, how wide should the poop board be?

2. Is 10 inches enough space between the roosts?

3. Should the roosts be parallel or should one be higher than the other?

4. Any extra advice about what one should know/consider before constructing a poop board?

Thanks for reading :)

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Are they going to live in this or just roost in it at night?

3. sunshinewish

Feb 12, 2017
    Just roost at night

4. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Ok, with a 6ft x 10ft you could roost a hundred if you wanted----if you are not feeding them etc in the coop. Mine eat and get water outside the coop. I use step roost---always have. The last coop I did reverse step roost poles and I like it(like this but the taller ones out towards the middle of the coop. I did the reverse so I could get under the roost better.

[​IMG]
    These do pull up to the ceiling and tie off(rope in pic) to make cleaning easy.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  5. Leigti

Leigti Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2015
    Walla Walla WA
    I would put two roosts 10 or 12 inches apart and a foot from the wall at the same level. And then a 3 foot poop board underneath. This would give you a foot on either side of the roosts and pretty much guarantee that The poop will stay on the board.
    I did three roosts across a 4 foot span with a board underneath and it has worked well.
    [​IMG]

6. sunshinewish

Feb 12, 2017
    Quote:Hey, thanks for your input. Do you find it hard on your back to have to bend to clean out the bottom? Could you really have that many chickens in 60 sqft? I'm going with 6'x10' so there could be 3sqft per chicken. If I had a smaller coop for 20 chickens would that be okay?

7. sunshinewish

Feb 12, 2017
    Quote:Hi, that's a very space efficient setup. Thank you for your help.

8. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC

9. sunshinewish

Feb 12, 2017
    Quote:That is so good to know! When figuring out the size of a coop and run, I've been strictly keeping to 3 sqft per chicken in the coop and 10 sqft in the run. If I'm able to make the coop smaller, I could save in supplies. What would you say is a good square footage to stick to regarding the coop?

10. ChickenLady11

ChickenLady11 New Egg

Feb 13, 2017
    Missouri
    I am new to chickens which i will soon be getting and was wondering If have a 12x20 building I will have standard and bantams how many is a good number plus my run is 12x40 thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by