Two Sad Old Hens

norwich

Chirping
10 Years
Apr 8, 2009
My five-year old Buff Orpington rooster recently died. His two old, retired hens (one is five, one is seven) are completely and utterly lost without him. I have tried spending more time with them, giving them special treats, etc. but they just seem so sad. Can anyone help?

I'm sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

Could you adopt a new rooster. possibly a mature one that would not be a burden on them.

Either that or is it possible to get a few chicks to liven things up a little?

I don't know really, how sad for them.
idunno.gif

Good Luck to you and your girls.

I know that animals grieve for their losses, too. Love on them all you can, and as someone else suggested, consider getting a mature roo (I'd recommend not getting a young roo as their aggression and hormone levels would probably be too much and overwhelming for your more sedate older ladies) to keep them company and help them not feel quite so vulnerable. I'm sorry for the loss of your roo.
hugs.gif

That is so sad! Animals and birds grieve for their companions, too. With time, their grief will lessen and they will adapt to life without him, as we do.

What I try to do is provide attention, treats and activities they might enjoy, as a diversion. I know you are doing some of that already. Maybe try something irresistible, like a few mealworms. If they're normally in a run, maybe give them a pot of wheat grass. Or a little clump of sod, so they can eat the grass and dig through the dirt. Or take them for a little walk in the yard. A change of scenery and some exercise is always good.

Mostly, they just need time. I'm sorry for your loss, as well. You obviously have a very kind heart.

Thank you. I've done some of those very things. It makes them feel better for a little while and then they just go back to sitting on their perch or sitting under a hemlock tree. It is beautiful here in upstate New York -- sunny and mild with the grass greening up, but the hens don't seem to even care.

I am seeing alot of cockerals for sale or for free but no older, mature roosters. Does anyone know of an old Buff Orp that needs a new home -- I'm willing to drive for hours to get him. Thank you.

One of my very old cats died and his companion cat was extremely sad and needy. It was just heartbreaking. I had another cat who lived alone in another part of the house because he is kind of a jerk, and I decided to put him in with my poor sad cat. The sad cat calmed down pretty quickly, and even though the new jerky cat doesn't treat him wonderfully like the previous one did, he seems happy to have the company.

I agree that you should try to find a nice retired gentleman to move in with them. Poor old dears. Good luck finding one!

Last edited:
Norwich,

I have a purebred black ameraucana that could use a home. He lost most of his upper beak to a fight with another cock but eats and drinks fine. He cannot be out with other males as he wouldn't have the ability to protect himself from other cocks. He would do well with just a couple of girls of his own. He can be yours if ya want to come to Montpelier and get him. He is a gorgeous bird and in no way aggressive to people.

BTW- my eight year old black giant hen still lays and broods quite well, your girls might still have a lot of life left yet!

Last edited:
Oh hon, this is so sad. I hope things brighten up soon for you and your ol' girls.

When I was in college, my dog escaped the yard and got hit by a car and died. The neighbor brought her into my front yard and laid her on the grass until I got home from class. For weeks after she was gone, my other dog would lie in that exact spot on the grass. She missed her so. It tore my heart out.

Hugs to you -

Back
Top Bottom