Two sets of hatching eggs arriving different dates..HELP

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by minikeeper1143, May 4, 2009.

1. minikeeper1143

minikeeper1143 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    [​IMG] I am about to embark on my first hatching experience. I have the Hovabator 1588 with automatic egg turner and it is running and ready. I received 13 eggs from California today (they were 2 days in transit). They had collection dates of 4/25 through 5/1. I have them sitting propped up one one side of carton, resting.

My real delima is that I have 18 Welsummer eggs being shipped tomorrow or Wednesday from Oklahoma and will be two days in transit. They were originally set to both ship 5/4.

Can I hold the cochin eggs for 4 more days, put them in incubator and add welsummer eggs later or what. I would greatly appreciate all input.

Thanks!

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Normally I woulds say yes but some of those eggs sound old already so its up to you .
    Im not shure what I would do.

3. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    I might be tempted to get another bator and use it as a hatcher or find a freind with a broody chicken for the older eggs. Hopefully an expert will know more good luck

4. simplyscrambled

simplyscrambled Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    I may be facing the same dilemma, trying to hatch different varieties from different places in one incubator! I hope more people chime in, I'm all ears!

5. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    If you don't want to get a second bator, or a hatcher, I would just put them in and get them going. taking the second batch of eggs off the turner a few days early won't be the end of the world. Alternately, the trays come out easily enough from that turner--I have two of them myself. You could take out half the trays on one side (or whatever you need to remove to leave space for the hatching babies), and block them from the ones outside the turner so the babies can't crawl all over them after they hatch--I suggest putting the first batch as far from the turning mechanism as possible which will make it easier to remove the trays.

A lot of people stagger hatches, just make sure your humidity is on the low side of normal through the incubation and you should be fine. Someone else may have advice exactly opposite of mine. lol

Good luck!

6. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    [​IMG]

7. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    Bump bump!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. DANNY

DANNY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    GAINESVILLE, GEORGIA
    Eggs will keep longer than you think if you keep the cool and rotate them around so they are not in the same position all the time. You can take the turner out during hatching and manually turn the non hatchers till hatching is finish. When you finish haching take all the eggs that weren't due to hatch yet and lay them on a heating while you clean and desinfect the bator. Put the turner back in and reload the eggs. Everything should be fine.
    Good Luck!

9. minikeeper1143

minikeeper1143 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    Thanks to all who have posted to help me. [​IMG] I have about made a definite decision to start the cochin eggs today and the other eggs should be here in a day or two. The hand turning is a great answer.

Dumb question.. what is safe to use to disinfect the incubator??

Carolyn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by