Two severely injured hens (dog attack) ...and broody?!?! (post #6)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BarkerChickens, Aug 4, 2010.

1. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Two of my hens are severely injured Monday morning by a determined dog that managed to get into the run (literally bent up the chain link!). Both hens are JG hens...not exactly tiny. We will not put them down at this time until we are certain their quality of life will be permanently affected.

Hen 1)
    One hen was fine later that day...walking around, eating and drinking normal, etc. I brought her inside and cleaned her wounds with dilute iodine, packed with neosporin and put her in the dog kennel in our dining room. She laid an egg for us yesterday. [​IMG] Now, she is still eating and drinking, poo is normal, but she won't stand unless she absolutely has to. If I go to touch her, she pecks at me. I am hoping that she is just really sore. Her wounds are on her back and primarily cuts and shallower punctures than I would expect. No infection can be identified (or smelled), no pus or drainage, but definitely bruised in a number of areas along her back. While I am aware that internal injuries are a possibility, her surficial injuries lead me to believe that it is probably not internal...at least, not serious. She lays there with her eyes closed UNTIL we put a tomato in front of her...then watch out! She tears it up!

Hen 2)
    This hen was under the coop with her leg pointed behind her. It does not appear to be broke anywhere, dislocated, no swelling and no apparent slipped tendons. Given her size, she can't walk at the moment. her thigh is functional, her lower leg is not (though warm, so clearly has blood flow). However, she has two puncture wounds on her thigh and, while speaking with someone, I have been told that it is possible that a nerve to her lower leg may have been damaged, but such injuries can recover (unlike paralysis from a back injury). It may take a few weeks to see any changes, but it is possible that, if that is the case, she can make a full recovery. A slow process, but nonetheless, someday walk again. She is feisty and alert, normal poop (obviously I clean her regularly), eat and drinks and talks a lot (cooing). Her back has a large injury...skin and some muscle missing. I cleaned with dilute iodine and covered in neosporin. I have also given her Pen-G for 3 days (~0.3 ml once a day). She is trying to be more active...trying to prop her self up, etc. Today, I am noticing a slight odor from her back. I think it is infected (no pus, no discharge...maybe just me being paranoid) and am wondering if I should put her on a stronger antibiotic (especially since Pen-G is suppose to be for 3 days only anyway).

Any opinions or suggestions on either hen?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  2. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    hm. well. I don't know alot about injuries / sicknesses but I CAN tell you this...

a few years ago we had a tiny chick that was JUST getting fully feathered, and we also had a HUUUGE dog (WAY bigger than our

labrodor) and one day that big dog (Jet was his name [​IMG] ) decided to catch the little chick. so I found him in the front yard literally

gnawing on the poor little chick and plucking his feathers out. I shooed Jet away a grabbed the little chick who had almost NO feathers

now, and had deep holes on his back and other wounds else where on his body. I was really young at the time so I didn't know what

to do. So me and my family nursed him back to health (I think we used a little bit of neosporin [​IMG] ...like I said it was a long time ago!)

but pretty much NO treatment!! I think your poor girls will be fine. [​IMG]

but I know one thing for sure..I would try and find that darn dog!! [​IMG]

-Becca

3. ruby

ruby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    Gold Hill, Alabama
    I have used powdered golden seal and echinacea. we washed the wounds every other day and reapply.

4. BarkerChickens

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    First off, thanks so much for your resonses!

You guys don't think that I need a stronger antibiotic since it seems that an infection has already set in in the hen with the bad leg? Ruby, where do you find the powdered goldenseal and echinacea? Health food stores or vitamin stores like GNC?

5. BarkerChickens

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Just FYI should anyone find it useful in the future. I called my vet (who will see "anything that can get in her office"). She said to give the hen 1/4 of a capsule of 250 mg Cephalexin twice a day for 10 days for her type of wound. The tech I was speaking with also said that the type of leg injury is most likely temporary paralysis from nerve damage related to the bite in the thigh and that she will likely recover, though it will be a slow process. That is good to know! Of course, we aren't out of the woods yet, but it gives me hope. [​IMG] Our vet supply carries the pills, so I will pick them up tonight.

6. BarkerChickens

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    UPDATE:

Hen #1..the one that bites at me when I reach in..I think she is broody. She is now fluffy up, growling, biting, etc. I have had broodies and she has raised babies before, so it wouldn't surprise me. I stuck 2 eggs a few inches away from her to see what she would do and IMMEDIATELY she stretched forward to get them and put them under her. [​IMG] Apparently her injuries aren't fazing her too much...laid an egg and now possibly broody. [​IMG]

7. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    I guess thats a good thing? [​IMG]
    ahhh doncha just luuuuv broody hens?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by