1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Two sick chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by qhlover, Nov 5, 2015.

1. qhlover

qhlover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2015
    West Texas
    I have two chickens that got sick over night the rooster is in really bad shape the hen is moving slow. Any suggestions would be great

2. lindalouly

lindalouly Grd Ctrl 2 Major Tom Premium Member

What are the symptoms. It could be any thing from a common cold to a disease that may require help. For now seperate them keep them clean and warm with gaterade and feed. Good luck.

3. qhlover

May 15, 2015
    West Texas
    They are lethargic the rooster is almost non-responsive the hen is moving slow is only interested in water. Her bottom is dirty and she feels thin. When I picked her up she pooped clear thick stuff.

4. lindalouly

Offer gaterade.... See if they would be interested in scrambled eggs.

5. lindalouly

Check her bottom too....

6. qhlover

May 15, 2015
    West Texas
    What should I check bottom for

7. lindalouly

Check them to make sure they arent plugged up... maybe they ate something that isnt moving through... also with a dirty behind make sure they dont have fly strike or something like that.

8. qhlover

May 15, 2015
    West Texas
    Her bottom has poop on the feathers but the vent looks normal

9. qhlover

May 15, 2015
    West Texas
    The rooster died I didn't think he would make it. The hen is improving a little with out any help should I still separate her?

10. qhlover

May 15, 2015
    West Texas
    So sad our hen died
    I checked on her then went to get meds from the vet and a cage to set her up in the barn. When I got back she had passed away[​IMG] I was so hopeful for her as she looked like she had improved from this morning. Thank you every one for your help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by