two sick chicks and a funeral / update good&bad

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by conny63malies, Apr 18, 2008.

1. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    two of my chicks are not doing so good. One has leg problems i think. S/he can sit up but not walk. When it falls over it cant get back up, then the legs start to shake , kind of like a seizure , really bad. And the other has kind of use of its legs but zero power to lift its head. It drank a bit but not much. i took the others out of the bator and into the sterilite brooder, well beside one PC banty thats still not perfectly fluffy and kept the two sickly ones in there. I know it dont look good but after a already aweful afternoon i couldnt bear to cull the two. I didnt write anything yet, but my son accidently killed one of the bantys today. I guess Poachie is a bad name for a chick ,Poachie 1 died two days after i got it and Poachie 2 today.
    Poachie 2 got a little funeral and grave in the frontyard.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2008
  2. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Oh wow, what a terrible day for you. I'm sorry. [​IMG] I hope things start to look up.

3. conny63malies

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Yeah it was a pretty lousy day. But sebastian due to his disability doesnt fully grasp how much strength to use while picking something up. He knew he wasnt suppsed to pick themup by himself, but he did anyways. Now he is banned from the chick room. On a positive note, the smallest of the buncha 20g (2/3oz)tiny partridge cochin is all perky and picks on sleeping polish that are twice his size and runs . The leader of the pack is already established, it is the first born a splash cochin frizzle.

4. conny63malies

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    i just checked on them and to my surprise they are both still alive and maybe its just me - but even look a whee bit better.

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    If the chicks can't get their feet under them you can try the bandaid method to help them. Do a search here for spraddle leg. After a couple days many times a problem chick can recover with some help. I have one I thought I was going to have to cull but yesterday was like a miracle day. The bandaids came off and the little booger is walking and hopping around like nothing ever was wrong.

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Sometimes it takes those bandaids acouple day to work [​IMG]

7. conny63malies

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    i dont think its spraddle leg. The legs dont get sideways. He sits the with the legs in front of him on his butt. Plus he had those leg tremors last night. I hatched them on non slip shelf liner. He had a real hard time getting out . He had the egg cracked open with the yolk not absorbed, but stayed in the open shell with the head and one leg in it and the other leg sticking out. It was like that for darn near 24 hours before he finally came out . I will try the splints anyways though. Can i use them along with booties to keep the toes straight? Thats another thing thats wwrong, i think he has some kind of a neuro problem with the legs.

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Fix his legs. Try the boots. Give it 2 days. Take them off and give it 1 day to get its feet under it. If that doesn't work I don't know what will. It worked for me. This is the first time I had to deal with legs shooting out in another direction. This morning that chick is running around and in the brooder with the others and do fine!

9. chickhamm

chickhamm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    I've had 1 or 2 that the legs were in fron of them and not out to the side, used the bandaids, would give it water with vits and electrolites off of my finger, move it around talked to them put the food right next to them and tapped it with my fingers. They did get better, but ive also had some that didnt and i had to cull.

chickhamm
    Theressa
    GA

10. conny63malies

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    I thought about what to do, while i did my dishes, with the little guy. After given some thought i deceided to cull it. The problem was even if i would have made all that stuff and the chick fell over, it couldnt turn itself back around. I just dont have the time to run every 10 minutes to turn it back on its feet. Then there is the 50% it is a cockerel which i cant keep anyways. It would just break my heart to get so attached and put all the work into the chick just to cull it a few weeks later. I just didnt see any hope when i looked at it.

The other one , the little partridge cochin, on the other hand is doing better and is already moving around a bit. So i wont be giving up, this chick showed me its wil to live

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by