TWO sick hens, different symptoms, Please Help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 2overeasy, Mar 14, 2013.

1. 2overeasy

2overeasy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Birchwood, TN
    First hen:a brahma hen, 1 year old. Twice in last few months I've found her with huge clumps of dry poop matted in feathers around vent -very heavy clumps. Both times brought her in, soaked her in warm, soapy water, and just picked at it until clean. Put her in kennel in the house til the next morning and she was dry and clean. Then put her back out. She has always remained with just a bit less energy than the rest of the flock. She comes out in the morning with the others and pecks at scratch and free ranges w/the rest. I don't know if she lays because I have 25 others who lay in various places and I simply can't monitor her. This morning she is very listless.
    Second hen: Small California Grey. Approx 5 years old. About 6 months ago I noticed her wheezing and coughing a bit. I kept an eye on her but it cleared up after a few days. No worries. Then, at the end of last week it started again. But I left for a business trip on Sunday and got back last night. When I went to let them out this morning she didn't come out. She was still sitting on roost. She wasn't even making any noise - just opening and closing her mouth.I picked her up and tried to check her out but she just squirmed. I tried to feel her crop but she jerked away and escaped from my arms. I came straight here to find out what to do. I read about respiratory infections and such. So I went to find her, really figuring I would but wouldn't be able to catch her. As it was she, she was lying in the sun next to the coop with no inclination to move. Easy to pick up. Brought her in, checked for smell - none. Felt her crop - empty. Looked in mouth - nothing. So I whipped up a batch of tetracycline, made a small amount with honey and dribbled some in her mouth with an eye dropper. She swallowed each time. Then would return to opening and closing her mouth in very shallow breaths. I made a concoction of apple sauce and the honey/tetra mix, and put a little inside her mouth with my finger. She swallowed as if it was yummy. So I put her in kennel with access to a bit of that if she wanted more. Then I came her.
    [FONT=arial, sans-serif]I've researched the forum like crazy on a variety of possible issues for each and can't quite find anything specific to my two hens. So I could REALLY use some advice.
    Thank you. I'm worried for both.[/FONT]

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    first lets address the respitory illness, i suggest tylan injection small birds 1/4 cc once daily for 5 days,larger birds 1/2 cc once daily for 5 days this is tylan50 dose. it is wonderful for respitory infections! the bottle will say for cattle and swine, not to worry many many people myself included use tylan50. the injection can be given in one of two places, nape of neck or brest.this is a much stronger concentration of antibotic than water soluable antibotic also dose is insured where as with water soluable dose is depending on amount drank and when ill that can be very little! second issue, start that hen on probiotics. it will replenish the good bacteria in the gut and should stop the liquid stool. i use probios. also a little apple cider vinegar wouldnt hurt either
    you can use plain yougart just make sure it says LIVE bacteria inside or its not going to do the trick. really hope this helps! best of luck

3. 2overeasy

May 28, 2010
    Birchwood, TN
    Thank you! I'm off to Tractor Supply shortly for the Tylan. I just gave her a few more drops of tetra/honey water. She's not just gaping mouth open and closed now, she's really raspy and stretching her neck out for each breath with a gurgling sound. Do you think I got it in her lungs? Oh, Gosh, that would really break my heart if I made it worse!
    As to the other hen, I will start her on probiotics. I've had to do that before with a sick chick, so that's not an emergency as it is with Ajax.

4. 2overeasy

May 28, 2010
    Birchwood, TN
    I lost Ajax. I went to TSC and bought the Tylan 50, the syringes and needles. When I finally got home (it's a long way) I walked back to her kennel and she was already in her death throes. I'm so heartsick I couldn't get to her in time, that she suffocated to death.
    At least I know now how to treat, and have the meds for, a respiratory infection.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by