two sick hens - just sitting or laying around, cream colored runny poo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Peaches, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Peaches

Peaches Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2007
    Stanwood, Wa.
    One is a pullet born march, one if a couple years old - put them away from others. Gave them water w/ McMurray special vitamin boost, giving bread soaked in that and also feed. Haven't a clue what is wrong with them. Sheesh... I was happy it has been since Feb that anyone got sick.

Ideas? We are LEAVING on vacatoin in five days for six days and I have a house sitter, but that is just the basics.

What do you think?

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator~~~ BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Can you take a poo sample to a vet to check for parasites? That way if it were parasites, you could add meds to their water or soemthing while you are away.

Also, are they drinking a lot of water with the heat? That could cause washed out runny poo.

3. Peaches

Jan 11, 2007
    Stanwood, Wa.
    I believe they are drinking, yes. It is $20 to take a sample to the vet which is pricey - but I could do it except it would not be able to happen till monday. also - so runny, REALLY would be hard to actually GET a sample. One looks a bit better, the younger pullet is just lying there and hasn't gone "upstairs" in the ark tonight.

4. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    anything would really be a guess... a faecal is your best bet to helping them

5. Peaches

Jan 11, 2007
    Stanwood, Wa.
    Well, so far, the leghorn pullet died. I decided it might just be cocci. anyway, check for mites and powdered the other one. Put eprinex on her. And now have her on corrid. By the way, what is the withdrawal time for corrid? to eat eggs again? Anyway, she is up and about and eating and drinking, so I will cross my fingers.

6. Wolfpacker

Wolfpacker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    Raleigh
    Good luck. [​IMG]

7. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    I believe the withdrawal time was two weeks but am not absolutely sure....

8. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    amprolium 0 days for slaughter, would say the same for eggs

Last edited: Jul 20, 2007
  9. fuisha

fuisha New Egg

May 17, 2008
    My silkie is about 6 months old she was away from hermates as they were at a 4 h show for 6 days she became as if she was drunk and could not walk her front legs she wants to keep streatched out in front of her body we have seperated her form them now thaqt they are back because she seems so week she i drinking we have given her electorolyand antibiotic she is eating but just cannot support her body weight Please let us knoe if we are prolonging her life

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by