Two sick hens, two different problems

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Oegipus, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Oegipus

Oegipus Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2009
    Hi everyone.

I'm pretty new to this, and this is my first post.

I have a light Brahma with an eye that's been puffy and swollen for a month or so. I've been observing her, and the eye itself has been gone for a while. The others peck at the lid, and prolong it's healing process. I'm hesitant to give antibiotics, and figured it would work itself out, and that she'll be fine with one eye. Maybe someone can suggest a treatment or plan? I'm not negligent. It wasn't from sickness, I'm almost sure. I think her eye was hurt in transit to my house.

The other hen is an Americana, and she had a watery eye. The next day, her face was swollen, and she had crust around her beak. No smell.
    The rooster had a watery eye too. I put the whole lot(7) on antibiotics (oxytetracycline), and the rooster got better. The Americana (rose) is not really getting better or worse. It's been five days or so. I have photos, but don't know how to post them here. Thanks for your help.

They both live in a tractor that I built. It's ventilated and insulated. It's dry. They have straw bedding. they free range in the day time. The Americauna has mushy poop. They are both young, just on the verge of laying, but not yet. working on their combs.
    Not sure how much they weigh. I think the Brahma is a bit light, though.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  2. PioneerPrincess

PioneerPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    TX
    Hello, Oegipus and [​IMG] !!
    I have the exact same problem with my Partridge Rock pullet and Self Blue bantam roo. They have had this for almost a week now. I am having to syringe feed and water the partridge every three hours since she can't close her beak. Also, I have her chick feed watered down and I put crushed vitamin C pills and calcium (you can use crushed tablets or the chicken calcium) in it. Thankfully, she is a willing eater and has learned to swallow with her tongue. They might have fowl pox but I think they have something else as well. To treat the scabs, I put Listerine mouth wash on a cotton ball and dab it on them. I have also squeezed a few drops of it into her mouth to swallow in case she has lesions in her throat. Hopefully, someone will know the answer.

3. PioneerPrincess

Sep 16, 2009
    TX
    I'm sorry. I forgot to say which same problems my chickens had as yours. It is your second chicken.

4. PioneerPrincess

Sep 16, 2009
    TX
    How are you chickens? Are they feeling any better?

5. teddiliza

teddiliza Chillin' With My Peeps

Look up Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) and see if that sounds like your birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by