two sided controvesy with last three day eggs in incubator.... expert advice needed...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kendell, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Kendell

Kendell Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2013
    orange grove, texas
    ok its my first time trying to hatch duck eggs, well someone i live by says shes done it for years and had no problems and she will add eggs as there layed to her incubator and that its not true that if you open the incubator it will mess up membrane of egg on last three days before hatching!!!! but then i have another lady off here telling me its most important thang is never open incubator for eggs on last three days before hatching becasue it will mess up membrane... so therefore can not add in more eggs in incubator one theres eggs already in there... i myself dont know what really true or the best to do and i want healthy good hatched eggs and the best results as in more eggs hatching...so im asking if anyone really knows what is suppose to be done please inform me... i have the first egg my ducks ever layed in the incubator right now by itself.. so far my duck has been laying everyday so there are two sitting out in the pen and so far mom is not laying on there but then again im still waiting for her to get a clutch of her eggs and hopefully she will start laying on them... so then after my first single egg incubation is done in 28 days then ill wait for a full clutch and put those in my incubator together... just any info. advice anyone can share ill be appreciated to listen... i want to do my most for these duck and not doing the wrong things!!!

2. Kendell

Kendell Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2013
    orange grove, texas
    what im going based off right now is hopeing my mom duck will go broody and lay on a clutch of eggs once she has a clutch, so while she has a clutch shes laying on then other eggs she keeps layin ill save up to put in incuabtor so she can worry about her own clutch... so ill have incubator goling on clutch of eggs as well as mom duck laying on a clutch instead of getting another incubator... i hope im going in the right direction with everything ive gathered about incubation and hatching duck eggs...

3. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    You want all the eggs to start Day One of incubation at the same time. That is how all the ducklings hatch at once. You can't add them one day at a time and have them all hatch together, and if they don't hatch together, then the entire clutch's survivability rate will be lessened.

1 person likes this.
  4. Speceider

Speceider Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Actually on the day the last egg is laid in a wild duck nest, the first eggs laid are 2 or so days into incubation. Towards the end of incubation, the later laid eggs speed up development for synchronized hatch. The problem with daily adding eggs is that outside a couple of days, the attempt by the embryo to synchronize hatch stresses the embryo too much, increasing embryo mortality. I set weekly, so they hatch in batches.

Clint

1 person likes this.
  5. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    Thanks for clarifying Clint. As always, you give great advice and explain it well.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by