Two silkies hatched yesterday. Pictures!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mamading, Jul 13, 2007.

1. mamading

mamading Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2007
    Rhinelander, WI
    Here is the strongest of the two in the foreground of the picture. I call it 15w because that is what was written on the egg. LOL The w stands for white, but these chicks are pretty dark in my opinion. What do you all think?
    [​IMG]

Here is another picture of 15w. So CUTE!!
    [​IMG]

Here is a picture of the one that is kinda weak right now, but getting better by the hour with some sugar water. I think its neck got injured when it flipped back in the egg a little after it had started pipping. I had to help it out of the shell and membrane. My humidity was screwy at the end of hatching.
    [​IMG]

2. Judymae

Judymae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2007
    Merit, Tx
    OMG! They are so beautiful. I have my fingers crossed for both of them especially the weaker one. Let us know how it turns out!

3. peepsnbunnies

peepsnbunnies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    Central Florida
    Beautiful babies!!!!! 15W just may be a white! I bought some eggs and the breeder said that some of her white silkies carried the silver gene, which means they should not get a yellowish tint when they eat a lot of corn and from being in the sun a lot. Anyway, three of my babies hatched out dark looking just like yours and it was amazing when they started getting their feathers - they were brilliant white! Those babies were soooooooo cute because their little bodies were dark and the wings and tail and leg/feet feathers were white. Just the most adorable little things. Hopefully yours have the silver gene and will do the same thing. Good Luck!!

Lisa

4. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I love my babie silkies. You have cute little baby chicks.

5. mamading

Jun 2, 2007
    Rhinelander, WI
    Thank you everyone for the compliments on my babies.
    peepsnbunnies- you know that is what I was thinking too when they were still wet from hatching that some of their wet fluff looked silvery. That would be cool if they ended up the colors you were describing. The weak one (14w) is getting so much better, quite quickly actually. I'm thrilled. My sister is here visiting from Ohio and she's named him plucky lucky chick! LOL!!

6. peepsnbunnies

peepsnbunnies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    Central Florida
    Oh that is really neat that your sister got to see them hatching. I love to watch them hatch, I get glued to the incubator window. I will try to get my son to help me post a pic of what my babies looked like when they first started to feather out. I wish we could make them stay the gray and white, it really was pretty. [​IMG]

7. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    [​IMG]

8. jackiedon

jackiedon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    They are beautiful!!!!

I got 4 in the mail this week and I have some eggs in the incubator and I can't wait until they hatch.

jackie

9. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I can finally get into my site lol. I hope you dont mind me adding my pics? if so let me know.

Here are pics from last year before they became "big boys" [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. mamading

Jun 2, 2007
    Rhinelander, WI
    inuyashalover21 wrote:
    I hope you dont mind me adding my pics? if so let me know.

I don't mind at all!!! Thank you for adding your pictures. They are adorable!!

peepsnbunnies wrote:
    Oh that is really neat that your sister got to see them hatching.

Yeah, she was glued to the incubator too. As a matter of fact she was checking on them when I wasn't. LOL Now that they're in the brooder we're always looking at them and checking to see if 14w is doing ok. We help it get drinks and food. She even got up at 3 in the morning to check on them the first night. I got up at 4 in the morning the second night (this morning) because 15w was peeping very loud and I found out why, because 14w had hobbled over to the corner of the brooder away from the heat light and was shivering. This morning around 6 am my husband checked on them and said he got worried because he thought 14w had died but it was just sleeping and breathing very lightly. He's so funny. I assume most of the time that he doesn't give a care about the chickens and chicks then he does something or asks about them and then I find out he does care. LOL​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by