Two Sneezing Chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by whoacowboy, Jul 22, 2011.

1. whoacowboy

whoacowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Town of Clayton
    A few days ago m 20 weeks old barred rock started "sneezing". This morning one of my red stars is doing it, too. Is this something that's spreading? Or just whatevery's in the air? If this is respiratory, how do I stop it in its tracks?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Sneezing can just be sneezing. However if there is discharge from the nostrils than chances are they may have a respiratory infection. Watch them for a few days and if they are looking sick, then it wouldn't hurt to start them on antibiotics. [​IMG]

3. whoacowboy

Jul 6, 2011
    Town of Clayton
    Thank you. Antibiotics from a feed store? Any particular kind? No drainage or oozing so far.

4. nurseshelly

nurseshelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Gilbert AZ
    Quote:If they have drainage from their noses, bubbly eye drainage, swelling under the eye, or are shaking their heads with their mouth open, they are probably sick. You could either take one to the vet and get meds for both, or call around to feed stores and see which one has antibiotics for livestock. Either one you put in their water, or Tylan injectable. I've never done the one in the water, but I have done Tylan. It's 0.5mL injected into the breast muscle one time a day. You change sides each day. The syringes and needles would be the smallest they carry, usually the needles are for puppy and kitten shots. You just go to one side of the breast bone, and below the crop. You would give it at least a few days after they seem completely better. If they're not very ill, probably the medication in their drinking water is fine.

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Most feed stores carry Agrimycin or Duramycin, both good for respiratory ailments. I believe for both of these, you use 1/2 teaspoon per quart of water, changed daily. [​IMG] Used for 7 to 10 days.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  6. whoacowboy

Jul 6, 2011
    Town of Clayton
    I appreciate the tips, guys! Thank you!

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I would check to see if it's something in the environment causing them to sneeze first. For example; sometimes dust from starter or layer crumble feed will make them sneeze, buildup of ammonia in their coop, pesticide treatments, smoke, dust, pollen etc...
    If you cant find an environment cause, it might be safe to say it's a respiratory issue. Introducing new birds to your flock without quarantine could be a cause or wild birds couldve introduced something. Here's a link to respiratory diseases:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
    Additionally, if it's a respiratory disease, I recommend treating them with denegard. It is used for swine but can be used in chickens. There is no resistance to it nor withdrawal. QC Supply sells it online or you can call them. Type "denegard" in the BYC search box and read up on it if you wish.

8. whoacowboy

Jul 6, 2011
    Town of Clayton
    Very helpful. I appreciate it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by