1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Two so far

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by newpoultryppl2, Feb 9, 2015.

1. newpoultryppl2

newpoultryppl2 New Egg

Jan 26, 2015
    Scaly nc
    [​IMG]
    Here's freckles and feisty they are both Americana/silver laced Wyandotte

2. newpoultryppl2

newpoultryppl2 New Egg

Jan 26, 2015
    Scaly nc
    I guess because I have hand fed her since she went broody she is allowing me to reach under her to check on the chicks. Now when I go down there she has the chicks come out to see me. I've always heard new mommas are aggressive and this is the complete opposite.

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Not all brooding hens are aggressive. Some of mine certainly seem to see me as a benefit to their chicks. They'll tolerate me reaching under them and call them out when they see me (likely because they also view me as the food source). Others, however, can be perfectly fine with my presence when they don't have chicks and then turn into little monsters when they do. Growling, puffing and pecking if I dare get too close. I've even had hens in the past outright attack me. I used to have a buff Orp that would give my feet a good flogging and pecking when she was broody. She was perfectly fine when not. I guess its just luck of the draw.
    Your little family is super cute, and I have to say, that's a mighty impressive nest they've made!
    Good luck with them!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by