1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

two soft eggs today

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by micstrachan, Sep 13, 2016.

1. micstrachan

micstrachan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2016
    Tonight when I got home from work (late, after dark), I discovered two of my young layers laid soft shelled eggs, and both were outside the nesting boxes. Isn't that odd? I will investigate in the morning for signs of stress, but normally my girls are very happy. They had lots of free range time over the weekend, so maybe consumed less layer feed? I will offer oyster shells tomorrow and/or crushed egg shells. I'm mostly concened because suddenly it was two of them and I only have four. Thoughts? Has this happened in your flock before? Should I be woried about my girls or just supplement calcium and hope for the best?

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    In my experience, young layers can lay soft shelled eggs. It can take a little before their egg-laying plumbing sorts itself out. I would not worry about it.

CT

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    How old are they and how long have they been laying?
    As CTKen points out, it's pretty common for new layers to lay a few softies in the first month or so of laying.
    Having some oyster shell always available in a separate feeder never hurts tho.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by