Two soft shell egg's Yolk and White Separately

Abonzo

Chirping
Jan 30, 2021
Pembrokeshire, Wales
Hi I'm pretty new to the chicken keeping stuff, I recently rescued 4 POL hens to add to my flock of 6. They had no illnesses but were all very dirty, lots of missing feathers and a few wounds. Integration went well and only a little bit of squabbling mainly between the newcomers amongst themselves now.

A few days ago I noticed a softshell broken egg in the nesting box and had a read on here and it seems the consensus was if its a POL hen they will grow out of it and it will sort itself in a few days, I just went to clean the coop this morning and I have found two soft shell eggs, I do not know if it was one hen or two but I am assuming it was one as the yolk and white were separate, I am wondering if I still just continue to monitor or is it two chickens now doing this? some of the 4 POL are laying fine but i do not think all 4 are same age etc.

All advice welcome

Curious how/where one 'rescues' POL birds?

What all and how exactly are you feeding?

Oh, and.... Welcome to BYC! @Abonzo
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1612021345355.png

Curious how/where one 'rescues' POL birds?

What all and how exactly are you feeding?

Oh, and.... Welcome to BYC! @Abonzo
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2508864
So I contacted my local vet Small country town and said if she got anyone asking about rehoming any aged hens to let me know! women had brought them for her children as chicks in September and couldn't look after them ( i am from the UK and we have bird flu restrictions and she was keeping all 4 in a small makeshift cage with no sunlight!) I have a very very large coop and run and had rescued 6 from the same vet in the summer but all slightly older birds!

I am feeding layers pellets, give them some scrambled egg with mealworm as a treat along side some corn.

Back
Top Bottom