two soft shelled eggs today

paulette p

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jul 31, 2007
My most prolific egg layer suddenly layed two soft shelled eggs today. THe first one she layed in the yard after walking around for 1/2 hour acting like she had to poop...soft shelled which was quickly eaten by her two sisters. (she has never layed an egg anywhere but in her nest before now) and then again about 2 hours later in the bottom of her coop (again not in her nest) also soft shelled...I feed she and her sisters a variety of fresh fruits and veggies plus they are free range in our backyard so lots of bugs. They are fed a steady diet of egg layer crumbles...I'm not sure what is going on! They are all around 10-11 months old & they have been laying wonderful hardshelled eggs...

Our girls are going on two years old now, and one of the NHR's still lays a soft shelled egg that is either eaten or just makes a mess in the nest box.

I've come to accept that not all of them are egg laying champs.
th.gif

THanks for the reply, it's just such different behavior than I'm used to with her that I got concerned! BTW they are buff orpingtons...I see you have some of them yourself!
big_smile.png

Soft shell eggs can be caused by an egg passing through the reproductive system too fast. If she layed two in one day than they may be doing just that.
It is normal and not uncommon to lay soft shells every now and then.

They are still new layers and there systems are still getting use to laying, I would give her time but also keep and eye on it and make sure she doesnt do it all the time.

Do you offer them oyster shells ?

I have a layer who's doing that. She'll lay a normal egg and then a soft shelled egg. I've been getting them every couple days. Most of my layers have only been laying for a few weeks now. I'm not sure which one it is either. It's nice to know my girls are normal!

Sonja

Quote:
You can get it at your local feed store, its really cheap !! Offer that to them all the time they will pick at it if needed !!!

You could also cook some egg shells and feed it back to them, I just find it easier to buy oyster shells.

Back
Top Bottom