two spots of blood on one of my babies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jeannieo, May 16, 2009.

1. jeannieo

jeannieo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Collinsville, CT
    Last Monday I was given ten 1 week old EEs and two BOs. [​IMG] I have them in the coop in a 16 gallon metal wash tub with chicken wire over half of the top and a board over the other half with a 125 watt heat lamp about 18-22" over them. They seem to be very lively, eating, drinking and just being as cute as 12 little buttons. The issue is when I went out a little while ago, one of the BOs has two spots of blood on him, one on his breast and one by a wing. They seem to be growing as I look at them and am wondering if the tub is now too small for the twelve babies. Could he be being picked on? Should I separate? Make a bigger brooder? Sit out there 24/7 and guard him? [​IMG] These are my very first chicks, my first chickens being a full grown flock given to me last fall. Looking for advice please, from all you more experienced chicken keepers! [​IMG]

2. Polish Chickens

Polish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    Houston
    Pics of the chick that has blood could be provided if you could

3. jeannieo

Oct 25, 2008
    Collinsville, CT
    here are some photos and there's actually 3 spots and after looking again, I think I've answered my own question. I think he's being picked on. Now what do I do? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Polish Chickens

May 9, 2009
    Houston
    From the look of it I think it could be the bite marks of a cat. Where do you keep your chicks at? And where are you located at so I can know what predators are in your area

5. jeannieo

Oct 25, 2008
    Collinsville, CT
    definitely not a cat or a predator. the chicks are locked up in the coop which I have made into a chicken Fort Knox. The door is locked and the full grown hens are in the other part of the coop blocked off from the chicks and the babies are in a wash tub with chicken wire and a board on top.

6. Polish Chickens

May 9, 2009
    Houston
    I'd seperate the chick as it seems that it could be cannibalisim among them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by