Two stage heating- will it work?

Prisserbabe

Songster
8 Years
Jul 8, 2011
The chicken coop
Our plan is to save energy- We will have a 100 wat heater in the inside and a water heater outside, go on when the outside temperature reaches 35 F. Then another 100 wat heater, in the inside, when the temperature hits 25 F.

Then we will have a sun lamp, in the coop, go on at 5 AM and turn off at 8 AM.
AND an infra-red camera in there on at all times so we can moniter the girlies!
big_smile.png
smile.png
big_smile.png

what do you think?
smile.png

I think the best way to save energy is to not heat the coop at all. There is really no reason to. check out other posts from some well informed long time chicken owners that live in Alaska etc... that never heat their coop and they deal with temps. well below zero. IMHO. I live the Chicago area and it is starting to cool off over the past couple weeks and we have had 2 nights in the high twenties-to very low thirties and I have no heat and in fact I have left the windows open. I have the noticed over this time the ladies have put on quite a bit of extra down. they look they have addded 3 lbs of weight.
smile.png

It should work to ease your mind but isn't necessary for poultry. Chickens have no problems in sub freezing temperature. I suppose we should start taking pictures this winter to show how they run the snow shoveled paths with unshod feet without a care searching for forage. Of course they're none too happy come -20 F mornings, but then who is?

To heat at such mild temperatures will hinder them acclimation to it. Your birds will be coop bound and your electric bill wallet binding. If you've a thermal switch to turn on a 100 watt red bulb at 0 F you and they will be better off in the long run. I'd be surprised if the bulb turned on many nights at all as each chicken is a 10w heat source in coop at night. It would be a compromise to both schools of thought. No heat vs. heat.

A lot of people don't heat except perhaps the waterer to prevent freezing. If you do heat make sure the coop has good ventilation to prevent condensation build up and potential mold problems.

Thank you for your help! We will heat the water at 35 F and we will heat the coop with a 100w ceramic heater at 0 F or one that goes on at 20 F. what would your guys recomendations be? thanks again
smile.png

Like the others have said, Don't waste your time/money on adding any extra heat to the coop at all. Go with the water fount warmer and thats it. You are not helping the chickens at all with a ceramic heater, But you could actually harm them by not letting them acclimate to the colder temps.
Jack

Back
Top Bottom