Two story coop question

Handymum

In the Brooder
Apr 18, 2020
My little coop is 4x4 (40 inches tall or so) and it's up 34 inches in the air. I am debating closing in the bottom as a second coop space lifting it a few inches off the ground. So about 4 inches up and about 30 inches tall. It would be 4*4 as well obviously. The entire run is covered, aluminum roof with big sunroof in the middle as clear plastic. The back wall is solid, and I am enclosing 1/2 of both side walls so basically half is closed and the other half of the run walls are hardware cloth.
As I live in Seattle, with lots of rain and wind, I felt this would offer the most protection but also space to play in the weather.
Is there any benefit to closing in the bottom half of the coop and making it a second coop space? I'm still mid construction of this so easy to change now, less so later. Alternatively, am debating adding some feet to the coop but that's harder.
I think the 4x4 coop will be enough for 4 chickens(not large breeds) Isa brown and goldline bovans. But I know that it's best to build bigger if possible. Especially if I would like to add a few extra some day.

So has anyone ever done two stories? Or are they all going to want to be in the same one and no point?
Run is 8x8, so 64 ft. But they will also have a 100ft area that I can open them to and will let them free range when I'm out there.
Thanks.
This is my first time building my own coop, I've worked with chickens at a community co-op the past 2 years and had chickens back 12 years ago. But my father helped build the coop for me and I knew a lot less then than I do now.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200423-011907~2.png
    Screenshot_20200423-011907~2.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
The 4'x 5' raised coop I built is enclosed with 1/2" hardware cloth around the bottom.
20180812_052918.jpg

I made removable plastic panels to enclose in the winter with a 1/2" gap at the top for ventilation.
20180218_060758.jpg

GC

Back
Top Bottom