Two Story Duck and Chicken Coop- Will it work?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by rebecky1305, May 11, 2010.

1. rebecky1305

rebecky1305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Lansing, MI
    I have five pullets in a 5x5 coop that is on stilts 2' off the ground. I am getting two khaki campbell ducklings. They will share the same run, but I'm not sure about sharing the coop as its kind of small. Was wondering about boarding up the bottom to make a shelter for the ducks. Any ideas?

2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    It would work, but I don't know how you would clean it. If you can figure that part out, I say go for it.

3. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I had thought about building one sort of like that.
    I figured if I could make one about 6 ft tall and 4x6 then divide the top and bottom it would be excellent for ducks on one side with a pen and chickens on the other with their own pen. The chickens could have a ramp to go up into the higher one and ducks could just have a door to go in the bottom part.
    However, I am old and hate getting down low enough to get to the eggs.[​IMG]

If you do decide to do that put down 4" concrete blacks for a floor and put a lot of hay in there. Make the entire wall open up so you can rake it out then scoop up the old bedding into a wheelbarrow or something. Still have to crawl in for eggs though.

4. rebecky1305

rebecky1305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Lansing, MI
    Nadine, that's kinda what I had in mind. And I don't mind getting down low to get the eggs. Thanks for the advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by