1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Two Super Easy Methods to Peel Boiled Eggs!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by LondonMcKNight, Feb 16, 2015.

1. LondonMcKNight

LondonMcKNight Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2015
    Gordonsville, Virginia
    I came across these two easy methods to peel boiled eggs recently and I was so thrilled with them that I thought I should share!

2. jomoncon

jomoncon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    Have you tried either of these methods? Did they work?

I had seen the "shake in water" method and was planning on trying it today with a fresh egg. Now, I'm going to try both methods & see how they work. I'll post my results.

3. jomoncon

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    Here are my results. Tried both methods. Both of these eggs were laid yesterday. #1: Boil & Shake - on left. #2: Crack while boiling - on right.
    [​IMG]

As you can see, the boil & shake method did not work at all. My DH said I shook the glass to vigorously. The #2 method came out perfectly!! I'm going to give it one more try before I'm completely convinced.

If the #2 method works consistently, then I won't have to save eggs for 2-3 weeks before boiling them!

4. LondonMcKNight

Feb 15, 2015
    Gordonsville, Virginia
    I actually have not tried the second method, but the water in the glass method worked like a dream for me time after time!!! I used a small glass with about a half inch of water! Make sure that you cool the eggs in cold water first... And you shouldn't have to shake them very hard. Hope this helps, as it has worked great for me. NOTE: I have not tried this method on brown eggs nor duck eggs, as in the past I've had extremely little success peeling either of those types of eggs, I don't know why...

~L

5. LondonMcKNight

Feb 15, 2015
    Gordonsville, Virginia
    Wait.... Were you trying to peel brown eggs?? Are saying you can peel boiled brown eggs if they're 3 weeks old? Why would that be?? Interesting....

6. LondonMcKNight

Feb 15, 2015
    Gordonsville, Virginia
    Oh, and I add a teaspoon of salt to the water in the sauce pan when I boil the eggs...

7. jomoncon

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    Let's see. I used a brown egg for the Shake method & a blue egg for the Crack method. I'll give them another try later today. I've always put a little salt in the water & cool down the eggs completely. I'm going to try it again later today. And not shake so hard in the glass. And I think I may have used too much water.

All eggs will boil & peel better if they are older.

8. LondonMcKNight

Feb 15, 2015
    Gordonsville, Virginia
    Jomo, thanks for your responses. I've had my tiny flock for just a year, so I'm still learning so much... I'm interested in hearing how the peeling goes with the brown eggs and water in the glass...=) ~L

9. jomoncon

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    Tried both methods again this morning. Tried 1 blue egg: Crack. And 1 brown egg: Shake. Both eggs laid this morning. Didn't shake the brown egg as hard as I did yesterday. Both eggs peeled beautifully!! The shaked one was slightly harder to peel. I had to peel it under running water.

London, Thanks so much for posting both methods. Now, I have options when peeling freshly laid eggs.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  10. LondonMcKNight

Feb 15, 2015
    Gordonsville, Virginia
    Yay! Now, I'm going to try boiling my brown eggs again!!! I had given up on them being "peelable" at all!... By the way who lays blue eggs??? And are they really blue???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by