Two Sweet Roosters on the Vermont/New York Border

Discussion in 'Animals In Need of Free Re-Homing' started by Pyxis, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I have two very sweet roosters that are looking for flocks of their own. They hatched last March and already have some chicks running around. They were getting along very peacefully with each other and my top rooster until recently. The top rooster has now taken to tearing up their backs, and as much as I'm attached to them, I know they'd be happier and better off with their own flocks.

Honey is a buff orpington rooster that I rescued out of a bin at TSC. The other chicks had torn his back wide open and the employees had done nothing to help him - they'd just tossed him in with the ducks to keep the other chicks away from him. He's a very sweet boy, and he even lets you pick him up without a fight. He's never gone after anyone, not even my little 6 year old cousins. Sorry the picture is a little blurry!

[​IMG]

Lime is a bit of a mystery. We're not really sure what he is. I wasn't even certain he was a rooster until he was four months old. Still, he's a good boy and he actually likes to sit on your lap and be petted. He's low rooster on the totem pole here, so a flock of his own would make him very happy. This picture of him is from when he was younger and still trying to convince us he was a hen.

[​IMG]

As a side note, Honey and Lime get along fantastically. If they both went to the same new home, that would be great. Apple, my top rooster, is the only one who has a problem with other roosters, and that started quite recently. I'd rather not ship these guys, but if it's to a good home where they'll have their own hens, then I'm willing to discuss it. Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  2. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Just posting to say they're both still looking for homes. My alpha rooster is getting progressively more aggressive towards them so a new home is badly needed. I think if at least one finds a good new home the situation will be much better. I didn't mention it in the first post, but they're both very good with young children and even let my six year old cousin fuss with them and pet them. They're very good boys!

3. RBentley

RBentley New Egg

Nov 29, 2011
    Can you give me a call I am interested in your roosters. (518)222-6443 Thanks, Robert
    I will be in Granville tonight around 4:30

4. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Thanks for your interest, but I was about to close this post! I found a home for my alpha rooster, which should solve the problem. If I have to find a home for another of them, I'll give you a call :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by