TWO THERMOMETER/HYGROMETERS-TWO DIFFERENT READINGS. HELP

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mom2fourbebes, Feb 14, 2009.

1. mom2fourbebes

mom2fourbebes Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2008
    Hi,
    We bought a digital thermometer/hygrometer from Wal-Mart, made by springfield and it was reading temp 101.0/humidity 52%.

I went on ebay and bought a dial thermometer/hygrometer but don't know company that made it and it read temp 98 degrees and 45% humidity.

Which do we go by or do we need to get a third one? By the way, we're going to be hatching using a Little Giant Still Air Incubator. eggs are not here yet...just trying to get this thing together before they arrive...first time hatching on our own..any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and happy valentine's day everyone!

Barb

2. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    SE Iowa
    Are both thermometers setting next to each other? These come with a + or - fluctuation, and these are pretty close together. I wouldn't buy a third.

3. mom2fourbebes

mom2fourbebes Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2008
    Hi, thanks so much for responding...yes, I placed the thermometers next to each other...I didn't know that would make a difference...what about the - and + thing....what's that about??

Barb

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    what about the - and + thing....what's that about??

Thats the "margin of error"

That mean it will read, for example, 100* + or - 3*
    So it could be an actual temp of 100, but could read anywhere from 97-103.
    The margin of error should be on the device or in the instructions

To check yours, use a MEDICAL (oral) thermometer beside them to see how much it's really off​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by