Two thermometers and two temps?!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cowgirlup11, Feb 11, 2016.

1. cowgirlup11

cowgirlup11 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2015
    Saskatchewan Canada
    Ok so I had my temp bang on 100-101 degrees before I set my eggs. (Digital thermometer) and of course as soon as I set them it started reading 103-104!!!! And I could not get it down. So I went and bought a non digital one and put it in too. Now the digital is reading 100-101 again and the other one is reading 104?! I really hope that it isn't really 104 degrees in there! I'm not sure what to do. its a still air incubator and old as the hills! (My grandma used it for years up till now when she gave it me) any advice would be GREAYLY appreciated.

I am only on day two and I did a quick canlde (not expecting to see anything) and some do seem to look different than other but who knows at this early in the game. I will candle again on day 4 as I last time I could see veining in all my eggs by that time.

2. cowgirlup11

Feb 25, 2015
    Saskatchewan Canada
    Oh and also in the manule it says to set the temp at 102-103? And I guess that's what my grandma did... That seem high to me. She also said she imcubated at 103-104 before and her chicks just hatched early?! That definetly seems very high to me???

3. JetCat

JetCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2015
    Southeast Alabama
    still air incubators should be kept at 102° at the top of the eggs, forced air 100°

4. cowgirlup11

Feb 25, 2015
    Saskatchewan Canada
    But what about such a variation in temp? The one that reads 104 is laying on the floor of the incubator and the one that reads lower is just above egg height.....

5. JetCat

JetCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2015
    Southeast Alabama
    You'll need to calibrate one or the other (or both) and see which is accurate.

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I'd get a third thermometer and then either triangulate between the 3 or if two are reading the same, go with that (they would have to be in the same spot for triangulation purposes).

CT

7. chicapee

chicapee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2015
    Pass Christian, MS
    Agree thermometers need calibrating. The easiest way is to use the Ice water method.

8. cowgirlup11

Feb 25, 2015
    Saskatchewan Canada
    I stuck a candy thermometer in there (it's more along the lines of a murcury type) and it read the same as my digital one! So I am going to go with that and just take the other one out all together cause it's just gonna make me crazy. Now when I just checked the two said 98 and that one said 110!!!! (I did turn the heat down just a though prior to this because I was nervous and would have rathered it be too low for a couple hours than too high) so I'm gonna bump it back up to where these two say 101-102 and call er good!

9. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I'm glad i've only ever used hens to hatch eggs - this incubator malarky sounds like a real pain! Good luck though!!

CT

10. cowgirlup11

Feb 25, 2015
    Saskatchewan Canada
    Today is day three (actually not till 6:30 this evening) and I just candled them to see if I could see any change and I can definitely see tiny little bits of veining is some of the eggs! So the HOT thermometer must have been wrong since it had got up to 110 for a couple hours at one one point and I would imaging after that I would have had fried eggs! Thank goodness it was wrong and I have everything figured out now! Thanks everyone for you help:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by