1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

two things

Discussion in 'Quail' started by thekid, Feb 22, 2011.

1. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

For that pen i have would 1 inch hardware cloth work instead of 1/2 inch. And would that incubator at tractor supply work that cheap $50 dollar one? Thankyou [​IMG]

2. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    You might get by with 1 inch, but use 1/2 inch just to be safe. Especially for the bottom. For a few $$ more you can get a hovabator. The LG's at TSC are chinese junk in most cases. A hovabator at co-op or online will save you a lote of baby sittin.[​IMG]

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:X2 OR BETTER YET JUST GET THE BRINSEA OCTAGON FOR 99 BUCKS AS IT IS ALL INCLUSIVE---- YOUR COOLERBATORS ARE NOT! THEY NEED MUCH MORE EQUIPMENT AT DOUBLE OR MORE THE PRICE OF THE EMPTY UNIT IN ORDER TO BE FULL FUNCTIONAL

4. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Yep, the brinseas are unbeatable. Too bad mine is on back order.[​IMG]

5. thekid

say i cant manage to get one online should i give that one from tsc a shot if it doesnt work i would just return it and the reason i might use one inch is because we have a ton of it

6. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Short of building your own. The LG from anywhere makes a great dry incubator/hatcher for any med. to large chicken egg. Incubating and hatching game bird eggs is another story.
    Very serious modifications will have to be done.

For anyone that just want's to "test drive" an incubator and then return it if it doesn't work out for you...should really read the fine print! It don't work like that. incubators ain't iPods. You can't just return them because they didn't work for you.

Most of the cooler bators, will hatch around 120 gamebird/quail eggs. That's IMHO very high capacity for the bators, and most likely a pipe dream. If you want to incubate and hatch game birds in a $45 lg bator, with the $45 auto turner, you will most likely have to remove 2-3 of the racks that will give you clear and free access to the water wells, and maybe even throwing a sponge or 2 into the bottom.

A good incubator should cost between $150 and $500, depending on capacity and bells and whistles. If you buy an $80 incubator....that's exactly what you will get!

7. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Go for broke.Within 2 years you will be hooked for life.So you may as well get the dickey cabinet now instaed of buying hovabators every year.
    In N.H.,Tony.[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  8. thekid

the reviews i read on TSC said it is good if you just read and follow the instructions it is a 4 1/2 rating

9. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    They are hatching chicken eggs, game birds are a different story...

10. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    You got that right.
    In N.H.,Tony.
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by