Two things

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PaulaSB12, Sep 12, 2012.

1. PaulaSB12

PaulaSB12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    I noticed that one of my hybrid hens was sitting under a small inconvenient bush (its bush and bramble mixed and its going) I looked again and there where 4 eggs in it. I got them but the nesting box is always cleaned, no poop in there and she has suddenly started laying there. Secondly one of the other hens layed her first egg, it was very small and in the same place as the four I found not the nest box. So that bush is going to be dug up. Its not a nice bush and I have never liked it so if thats gone since all the other bushes went I am hoping that they will lay in the nesting box. At the end of the year I am putting a couple of fruit trees in the garden and blackberry and loganberry bushes.

2. BeulahBreezes

BeulahBreezes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    Western NY
    I had to rustle my CM out from under our porch yesterday. She has been laying about 3-4 weeks now and always in her nestbox. For some strange reason she decided to make a nest spot under the furthest corner of the porch. I had to get the vacum wand from the pool to rustle her out of there. I put her in the hen house/pen and she did finally lay her egg where it is supposed to go! LOL! Today I left her locked in the pen/henhouse a little longer then the others...(who free-range). I want her to remember that she is supposed to lay those eggs in her eggbox. She laid it in the right spot today.......(this is something that I learned here at BYC, being a 1st time chicken owner...Thank You BYC's!)~Beulah

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  3. PaulaSB12

PaulaSB12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    I got my first blue/green egg today, under the bush so tomorrow its going to be cut down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by