Two-three week old chicks and no heat?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jmez61690, Mar 7, 2017.

1. jmez61690

jmez61690 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2015
    Hi guys!! So I have a quick question for y'all. We currently have 27 chicks in a brooder in our house. They're all between 2-3 weeks and have been thriving little chicks! But last night we had a bad storm and at some point in the middle of the night a breaker must have tripped because I woke up to no power in the back room where the chicks are! Which meant they went without their heat lamp for hours. Thing is, they're all happy as can be! Climbing, jumping, flapping, running, happy little chirps, no signs of distress. So I have kept it off to see how they do throughout the day and still, no problems whatsoever. Am I missing something or could they really be fine with no supplemental heat this young? I'll attach a photo of their feeding frenzy over scrambled eggs this morning. :D I was planning on moving them out into the coop this week with a light, which I'll still do, but now I'm wondering if I should have them completely off of a light during days while indoors since they seem to be doing so well.[​IMG]

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    They will huddle together if they get cold.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    So much depends on the temp of where they are. In a brooder in the unheated coop is not the same as a brooder in the heated basement or garage. If there are drafts that's another negative. Also, how big their brooder is important so they can conserve a little heat. Yours look pretty feathery so it isn't surprising they did fine. [​IMG]

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    They are feathered in enough that they will be more than comfortable in temps over 60 degrees. And they can huddle together if they need warming.

5. jmez61690

Aug 15, 2015
    Okay, thanks! I won't stress so much then. Temperature in here stays right around 70 so maybe for the rest of the week I'll keep the lamp off during the day to kind of harden them off for night in the coop!

6. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Turn it off completely.

7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    If you are concerned, you can build them a huddle box. It's simply a box big enough that they all can fit in it without being crowded. Make the opening big enough that they can get in and out easily, perhaps a 8" wide opening for that many chicks. Put a nice layer of dry bedding in it. They can cuddle in the box if they get cold.

8. jmez61690

Aug 15, 2015
    Oooh I like the cuddle box idea! Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by