Two Toms, three roosters and some hens

SAHMof2

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 11, 2010
I'm wondering if anyone thinks I'm going to have trouble on my hands with all this testosterone. They have all been raised from day one together and have plenty of space.

I was going to process most of them for winter but just can't do it ... yet. They are bourbon reds and wyndottes. I'd like to see what I have as far as male temperment in the roosters and brooding habits of the hens.

I just don't know about all those boys in one space. Any advice?

Also the Toms (I"m assuming they are Toms because they strut and psst alot) have black on their beaks. Is that normal?

Thanks so much.

Information on beak color of Bourbon Reds from Porters Turkeys: The beak is a light horn color at the tip and dark at base and the eyes are dark brown.

As far as keeping the together, the main problem that I can think of would be in the spring. The toms could try to mate with the hens, and when the hen in question is a chicken it usually ends very badly for her. Even with turkey hens, they make saddles because the hens can get their sides torn up during breeding.

I have a few Blue Laced Red Wyandottes, they aren't bad as far as temperament goes. Being from a hatchery, I'm just not impressed with the coloring. The blue on these is so light you can hardly tell it's blue.

Check the breast feathers on the Bourbon Reds. If they have light tips, they are hens. Hens do strut sometimes, though I don't think I ever heard them do the 'psst'. Also, if the snood (the 'hanging down thing') gets longer while strutting, likely a yom. I think I heard of somebody with a hen that did that, but it would be rare.

Thanks for that.

Their snoodes do get longer and hang down when they strut. It amazes me how rapidly they can change the colour of their heads and necks. They definatly make a pfff or hissing sound even when they strut and only seem to do it in the a.m. or when a stranger comes around.

That sounds VERY
hide.gif
disconcerning for my Wyandotte hens. I had four turkeys and hoped I had one hen. I'll have to look for a trade or purchase one. I'll have to get creative with that come spring.

So between the two Toms and three roosters you don't forsee any issues? Three crowing roosters is a bit to take sometimes so I think at least one will get traded or processed. Do you want the dominate one to remain or the mild ones to keep their heads?

Thanks for the info on the beak too. Sounds just right. I also looked at the Ben Franklin post and his close up looks like my beaks. Thanks again.

You get a blue red by crossing a gold and silver yes? These are meant for brooding, eggs and the freezer so we'll see what comes of their farm yard romping.

I actually had a tom turkey break a chicken hen's back trying to mount her. Even with having his own hens, the turkey still insisted on going after the chickens. He has since found a home with a large flock of turkey hens for him to attend to and no chickens.

now im not sure about toms for i think i have two hens.
i have rasied mine together also they sleep with my chickens and do fine. i even have a SLW who thinks shes a turkey and follows them everywhere. i think not to sure though if you raise them together they should be okay.

Quote:
We are not talking about injuries from aggression, we are talking about chickens hens getting injured or killed because a turkey tried to breed her. Raising them together will not change anything. They should be ok together for now, but before breeding season starts I would really want to have them seperated if they were mine.

Back
Top Bottom