Two tone eggs cracked at top

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by stearnj, Dec 17, 2016.

1. stearnj

stearnj Just Hatched

Dec 11, 2016
    Seeing quite a few eggs like this from my hen. Darker at the bottom, lighter towards the top and then a little cracked at the top. Any ideas what the problem is?[​IMG]
    It weighs 2.25 ounces.

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    How old is your hen? It looks she's laying thin eggs that are being malformed in the oviduct and cracking easily. This might be due to old age, a fluke occurrence, or too little calcium in the diet. Make sure she doesn't have any signs of disease or external parasites (mites, lice) that could be stressing her out and causing problems. I might also try supplementing her with extra calcium, whether in the form of crushed oystershell or ground up baked egg shells.

1 person likes this.
  3. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Are Oyster shells available?

4. Cacique500

Cacique500 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2013
    Atlanta, Georgia
    What are you using for nesting material and how deep is it? It may be something as simple as lying the egg onto a hard surface. Wouldn't really worry about the darker color - I had a few of mine have some painting mishaps but it all worked out in the end.

Also agree on making sure they're either on layer feed or supplemental calcium (like oyster shell) are available. I feed all of mine flockraiser and then have oyster shell available in a separate tube feeder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by