Two very broody and determined golden comets.

farmerinKC

Songster
8 Years
May 5, 2011
Kansas City, Missouri
Last week on the hottest day here-105 degrees-I noticed one of my golden comets was staying in the nest box, and then wanting to sleep there. I kept taking her out, dipping her in cool water, (I didn't feel bad since it was so hot) and putting her on the roost at night. A couple days ago, another one has joined her.

They puff up, screech at me and are taking up prime space in the favorite of the two nest boxes-which is causing all kinds of concern for my other seven chickens-causing them to complain non-stop.

I have read about putting them in a wire cage with a fan blowing on them-but I was hoping that moving them and cool water dunks would work. Is there anything else I can do? Maybe the water needs to be colder?

We had a hot snap, and my favorite hen went broody. I bought her a dozen to sit, and was fine with a few more chicks running around. Then Baby, number two on the favorites list, decided SHE wanted babies too. Can't do. Hubby would feel completely overrun then. I did the cool water dunks, and it didn't work. I locked the coop after laying time, so she couldn't return to the nest box. Didn't work. She went right back to Ms. Broody Butt at bedtime. I put her in the sin bin. I hated it, but within three days she was SURE she didn't want to be a mama, and wanted to hang with the single and unencumbered hens. Most people recommend five days, but after three days in a dog kennel with no bedding, but water and food to her content, she was done with that weird growly noise, and let me pick her up without looking like a crazy dinosaur chicken (velociraptor). I also let her out of the sin bin when the hens were free ranging, and I locked them all out of their regular chicken pen. Her behavior after three days told me she was ready to go back with the others.

I guess I will try to put them in a wire dog crate tomorrow if they haven't stopped. So, after 3-5 days I will hopefully see a change in behavior and know they aren't broody anymore?

Yeah, that's what I saw. The growling and hackle raising stopped. Can you free-range them locked away from the coop so you can check behavior? That might be a good test to see what she (they
ep.gif
) will do. If they try like the Dickens to get back to the nest boxes, I would give them three more days. Make sure they are somewhere they can stay cool, if you are somewhere seeing the heat (almost triples here).

Thank you mini-micro rancher for your suggestions-one of my broodys is back to normal, but the other one is still broody. It is hard to deal with in such hot weather, 100-106 for the next few days.

Today I tried holding her in cold water longer-I had just dipped her in before. She hated it and I felt like I was being so mean. I hope it works!

Sorry I missed your post. We have been camping and my oldest [20 year old] was house sitting since he had to work (and we lost a chick with him here--he was traumatized
hit.gif
). Maybe if you give her five days. I know with the heat it's hard. Do you have a cool garage or barn? One part of my yard is really shaded and damp, and I always thought it would be a good place for a summer coop, but then they would eat all my herbs nearby. It would be perfect for trying to break a broody in the heat, though. Think outside the box. Are you on facebook? Fresh Eggs Daily had some hens who were even broody on frozen juice bottles. FROZEN! I guess for some of them you just have to keep trying and wait them out?

Back
Top Bottom