Two very different chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by calebc311, Feb 18, 2014.

1. calebc311

calebc311 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2013
    East Bay California
    Sorry I couldn't get the pictures.

Anyways, I have two 2 week old chicks growing fast. One's a stubborn Buff Orpington and the other's a calmer BPR.
    I'm assuming the Buff Orpington is a pullet/female b/c her wing lengths are different, but I don't know the fundamental differences that distinguishes the females from males (besides the ol' hat trick which didn't really help). The Buff Orpington has shorter fur and smaller wings that are uneven. The BPR has longer fur, the spot on the head, is growing a longer tail, and has huge wings with large feathers. She (hopfully) is very calm and docile while the Buff Orpington chirps all day.

Does anyone know some basic indications of male/female?
    Thanks in advance :)

2. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    It's too young to tell at this age, and you can't feather sex or wing sex unless it is a breed that has been specifically bred for that...which you don't have.

You can't sex one chick to another that is a different breed. Sort of apples and oranges. Chicks of different breeds (and even breed lines) grow at different rates depending upon the environment and care.

Buff Orpingtons can be difficult to sex as the roo's often bloom late, and the females and males can look alike for some time. Males will get a redder more pronounced comb earlier, but again, it can take awhile for a BO roo to show his traits.

Barred Plymouth Rocks, if hatchery quality, can indicate male/female by their coloring. Girls will have a tight small white dot on head, black leg wash on the front of their yellow legs, and generally a darker appearance as they feather in. Males will have a more diffuse head dot and no black wash down the legs and will be more silvery, more white coming in as they feather to show the double barring gene the males get.

However, I personally find it is hard to tell unless you have the two sexes side by side as black on white and white on black look awfully similar to me when there is just the one bird until their combs really take off or they get sex related feathers and other features (generally around 10 weeks).

Posting photos is the best thing at around 4 to 6 weeks. Full body shot then head shots with comb. Then post again around 12 weeks, or so.

Genrally speaking, little roo's will have a noticeably red and larger comb at an early age while the pullets combs will remain small and yellow until just before point of lay, when they will get larger and turn red (but nowhere near as large as the male comb and wattles). Comb is generally the best indicator until the secondary sex features arrive (sex-related feathers, crowing, or laying).

Temperament often indicates little especially in a small flock. I've had snotty girls and calm boys. I've had dominant females chest butt each other and little roo's run away. When the hormones hit, the roo's do tend to try to be king and strut themselves unless there is a dominant roo to keep in check.

Good luck with your new flock.
    Lady of McCamley

1 person likes this.
  3. Studio2770

Studio2770 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2013
    Hmm the Buff Orp could be a male. Your BO seems like it has the same personality as my partridge cochin, Oliver, who was suppose to be a girl but turned out to be a handsome fella. We got him with a barred cochin pullet, Gracie, and she was quieter and calmer than Oliver(then Olivia). I noticed Oliver was bigger than Gracie, who wasn't a bantam, and was very active and chirped A LOT. Oliver also had small wings while Gracie was feathering fast. We got an EE chick a week later and she was calmer than Oliver and even though she was a week younger, she feathered faster than him. Based on what I dealt with, I lean toward male but wait a bit longer. And get pics when you can.

4. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I agree - The Buff Orpington might be a male, sounds a lot like how mine acted. Of course, I couldn't give you a 100% right answer from that, pictures would be great and the only possible way to tell. BO's are harder to tell the sex like Lady of McCamely said, especially without another chick to compare too. But we can try. Again, if you post a picture of the BR we could probably sex it too.

5. calebc311

calebc311 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2013
    East Bay California

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by