Two Week Old Baby Bunnies

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Boo-Boo's Mama, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Our baby bunnies will be two weeks old tomorrow. Today I caught them venturing out of the nest box and checking out Mom's quarters. They were wanting to nurse but she wasn't having any of it...they are plump so believe she is caring for them with no problems.

The hutch they are in is small; how soon should I move Mom and babies to a larger hutch? I plan to move them to the hutch their Dad is currently using and put him in the smaller hutch.

Today I brought some asparagus ferns in and cut in small pieces to add to the nest box material since it is very soft. I gave Mama the stalk to eat and I noticed a couple of the bunnies were nibbling on the small fern growth in the nest box. I was surprised to see them do this so soon. Any problem with this as bedding?

2. Heartlandrabbitry

Heartlandrabbitry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Washington
    Boo-Boo's Mama :

Our baby bunnies will be two weeks old tomorrow. Today I caught them venturing out of the nest box and checking out Mom's quarters. They were wanting to nurse but she wasn't having any of it...they are plump so believe she is caring for them with no problems.

The hutch they are in is small; how soon should I move Mom and babies to a larger hutch? I plan to move them to the hutch their Dad is currently using and put him in the smaller hutch.

Today I brought some asparagus ferns in and cut in small pieces to add to the nest box material since it is very soft. I gave Mama the stalk to eat and I noticed a couple of the bunnies were nibbling on the small fern growth in the nest box. I was surprised to see them do this so soon. Any problem with this as bedding?

I would move mom and the kits into a bigger place once the kits start getting active. That's when I move my kits out. They really enjoy the bigger space to hop and explore. I've never heard of anyone using ferns for bedding.... I would probably just stick to straw. Since the babies are still very young be careful on what you feed them. They have very sensitive stomachs at their young age.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by