Two week old Barred Rock trying to fly out of brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chicken Little-er, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Chicken Little-er

Chicken Little-er Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2011
    One of my two BR chicks keeps trying to fly up and out of the brooder (a 100 gal stock tank). Is this normal at 2 weeks? The BR's are a few days older than the other chicks (BO's, Light Brahma and Araucanas) but SO much bigger. They have black legs - pullets? (I hope). Thanks!

2. Kathi D

Kathi D Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2008
    ATASCADERO, CA
    Totally normal, in my (limited!) experience. This is my second time brooding chicks, and I learned from the first time to put a wire top on the brooder this time!

3. Ann2178

Ann2178 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2011
    Texas
    My Rirs did the same thing, and I had to close the lid on my brooder. Have fun with your girls!

4. white01

white01 Brady Brook Poultry

May 11, 2010
    West Enfield,Maine
    Quote:I also had to do this with all my chicks it is normal

5. teeville5

teeville5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Mine have been doing it since around that time, too. I don't mind and do not have anything over their brooder. I think it's kind of cute when I go down there and three of them fly up to watch what I'm doing and get attention. [​IMG]

6. Jake1297

Jake1297 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Western Maine
    Mine fly up too. They don't fly out of the brooder, just to the top of the sides and there they will roost. I only cover them with a chicken wire cover when I leave the house and the dogs are inside.

7. dweej

dweej Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2011
    Southwest MI
    Mine have been doing that since about 2 weeks, too! That's when we stopped using the dog bath/horse waterer as a brooder and switched to a baby play yard so that they'd have higher sides. They also have a bunch of "toys" that we've added (different roosts and ramps at different heights) to kinda keep 'em busy, but I'll still find them roosting on the top of the feeder and stuff. They crack me up! [​IMG]

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Life in the stock tank is getting BORING![​IMG]

9. ossiander

ossiander Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2011
    My problem with that is they are tipping the water over and getting everything wet.

10. homesteadinmama

homesteadinmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Merrimack
    Quote:If you are still using the chick waterer, might be time to use a bigger one that isn't top heavy like the quart jar ones. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by