1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Two-week old Buff Orpington not eating and breathing heavy.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by VickoRano, Feb 23, 2013.

1. VickoRano

VickoRano Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2013
    I have a two week old, or so, buff orpington chick that I found to be very lethargic and not able to stand very well just today. Her poop is only urates and she isn't eating or drinking on her own. I separated her from the others and put the heat lamp on her, keeping it at about 95-97 degrees. I gave her sugar water and hard boiled egg. I put a vitamin supplement dust over her feed. I made a mash with her feed, the egg, honey and the supplement and fed her a little. She is breathing heavily and opening her beak. I have no idea what to do. Her feed is not medicated, as I found out today.

2. VickoRano

Feb 23, 2013
    I originally posted in Raising Baby Chicks, here is the link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/747641/2-week-old-chick-dizzy-not-eating#post_10541517

Some things: we have a boil-water warning in our area right now, and I have been giving the chicks pre-boiled water since then. The three others are absolutely fine.

I took the lamp off of the sick one because she seemed to be over heating, wings splayed out, beak agape and breathing heavy. When I pulled her out, she'd stop breathing so hard so I took the lamp off. It's 85 degrees in the box right now, because it's a pretty hot day in Florida at the moment.

She's currently sleeping soundly. Should I leave her alone and let her rest, watch her and when she wakes up, try to get her to eat?

3. VickoRano

Feb 23, 2013
    Bump! :/

4. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    I'm so sorry. Sounds like you have done just about everything. If you have a TSC and can get a small bag of Durmyacin-10 so you can medicate the chicks water thhen don't need the medicated chick feed. Mix Durmyacin-10 (1/2 tsp to quart of water) and I would add 1 tsp apple cider vinegar to their water. Mix the acv / medicated water in the sick chicks' mash so she gets it and dip her beak in the treated water several times a day soo she stays hydrated. Good Luck, Hope she makes it. [​IMG]

5. fried green eggs

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Sounds like the temperture is comfortable enough for her at 2 wks old 85 degs is right temp for her. Keep her seperate and watch her poo. She may have a small case of cocci and you will need to help her stay hydrated. When she is really feeling better, she will let you know - it's time to go back in with the others. Keep a close watch on the other 3 as they can go down hill fast.. Also WASH your hands between handling chicks, use a towel on your lap when handling the sick chick and a different towel for the other chicks.

6. VickoRano

Feb 23, 2013
    Thank you, fried green eggs. I just got back from TSC with Electrolyte and Probiotic supplements, as well as medicated food. The food is a bit better because the pieces are smaller. I also bought apple cider vinegar and I mixed her a new water with 1 tsp vinegar, and a few dashes of the supplements. (They are in packets for gallon amounts of water.) I didn't really know what to get, and probably could have gotten better types, but I was in a hurry and the TSC is about 40 mins away from my house.

I fed her a little of the water and I added some food dust to the mix and fed that to her a little. She seems to only be able to take liquids. She is consistently making "hiccups", bobbing her head back when she breathes in.

Do I have to massage her crop into making her vomit and, if so, when should I do it? I tried several hours ago and she only brought up a few drops of the same liquid I had fed her--made me think she might not have sour crop... but I don't know. Her crop is still a very soft bubble on the right side of her neck.

Her droppings are all liquid with some white in them, no solids and no blood.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  7. VickoRano

Feb 23, 2013
    I fed her water with apple cider vinegar, electrolytes, and probiotics. I am going to see if she makes it through the night.

8. spies04

spies04 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Minnesota
    I know this may sound silly but I have had great results with baby food when I have had sick ones rotating with the medications.

I rotate the veggies and usually get the smaller jars that have a higher vitamin content (for the young babies). I have used either a small dropper or even a small baby spoon.

Not sure it will help but wanted to pass along as it has been successful for me. Our vet recommended this to me. Good luck!!

9. VickoRano

Feb 23, 2013
    She died. But thank you for the info... perhaps it will help my future babies.

10. fried green eggs

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    [​IMG] Sorry I didn't see this sooner. You tried thats all you can do. Sometimes a chick might be more susceptible to bugs because they didn't absorb all of their yoke at hatching. Keep adding the apple cider vinegar to the chicks water and keep them on medicated feed or medicate the water until the chicks are a couple months old. I hope the rest of your chicks stay healthy : )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by