Two week old chick can't walk now

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KHoward, Feb 17, 2014.

1. KHoward

KHoward Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Boston
    Hi everyone,

Two days ago, I found I have a chick that after two weeks has just stopped walking. Her shoulders were dropped, she was chirping a lot, and was trying to sleep most of the day. I now have her and a hatch-mate in a separate brooder because she was getting tromped on by the others. She will peck at the starter crumbles if I put them in front of her and will have a few sips of water from the bowl if I lift her up. From the research I have done, she may have a vitamin deficiency, specifically riboflavin. Every chicken I have ever owned have been vaccinated for Marek's and Cocci and the brooder was disinfected a week prior to the arrival of the chicks.

Yesterday, I made sure to prop her up in front of the water several times throughout the day and she drank about five sips before she complained each time. I gave her some riboflavin rich foods (finely chopped hard boiled egg, spinach, and mushroom) and she ate a decent amount of egg, but nothing else. She wass chirping less and when she did chirp, it didn't seem "distressed" like the first day. She sits tilted to the side, and won't stand but she will exert all the energy she has to scoot herself under the heat lamp to be near her friend.

Today, I purchased some Poly vi Sol (no iron) and dipped her beak into the vitamins twice and she swallowed it. Dropping it on the beak didn't work. I also put a few drops into her water bowl as well. I gave her more egg and she seemed to eat more than yesterday. She still wants to sleep most of the time. I don't see her move around much and I still pick her up to get her to sip some water. She seems a little more alert and her wings aren't a so I would say she is improving a bit.

Assuming it is a riboflavin or other vitamin deficiency, how long before I should expect to see some results? Should I increase the Poly Vi Sol dosage, or leave it as is?

In the event it is not a vitamin deficiency, are there any other suggestions?

~Kristen

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Riboflavin deficiency usually causes curled toes. Does she have any problems like a slipped tendon or splayed leg? Google "Poultry pedia podiatry" and you will find a good site for leg foot problems. It also discusses vitamin deficiency andhow to remedy many problems. A chick chair may help to keep her upright to build strength in the legs.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  3. KHoward

Apr 28, 2011
    Boston
    Hi,

I watched a few videos on slipped tendons, and I don't think that's it. Today she seems a little better. I dipped her beak in the Poly Vi Sol twice this morning and twice tonight, and gave her more egg along with her crumbles. She also seems to be moving around the crate a little more, and seems a bit more alert.

Her appetite is good, but I don't ever catch her drinking, though that could be pure coincidence. I hold her body suspended a little near the water dish. Tonight I let go and she stood for a few seconds while she had a few more sips, and then lied down again.

Her toes are not curled, and in fact, she doesn't seem to have the muscle control to grab with her feet. Like when I pick her up in my hand I expect some grabbing or resistance, but her feet are relaxed (that's the best way I can describe it). She seems to be walking on her hocks when she shuffles from one part of the cage to another.

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Most articles about riboflavin deficiency mention curly toe paralysis along with the walking on hocks. Since some vitamins (A,D, E) can be overdosed, I would probably get some chick vitamins for the water so that she gets exactly what she needs without getting too much of certain ones. Avian Superpak, Nutridrench for Poultry, and Poultry Cell are good brands, and contain minerals also. Some are available online from Jefferspet.com if you can't find them locally. You have probably seen this site about leg and foot problems before, but just in case, here is the link: https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. KHoward

Apr 28, 2011
    Boston
    * Update *

Today she appears much more alert, and is moving around the crate a little more. I picked her up to see if she could stand and she did, and then walked on her feet (albeit awkwardly but not her hocks) to the other side of the crate and lied down. Then she had a LOT to say about it.

I also noticed that she should be preening because she is starting to get feathers. But she isn't. Her flock mates are constantly preening themselves and down is everywhere, but I haven't seen her do it once in the past four days. I don't know if that's a symptom of anything, just something I noticed.

I did look at those sites but nothing really sounded on point. I read in a number of threads about chicks not standing and that it could be related to a nutritional deficiency, so I have been following that advice since it seemed like the closest diagnosis. I just wonder how long it will be for her to recover, and then I worry about re-introducing her and her crate-mate back into the flock again.

Today, in the brooder with the 30 chicks, I found one dead. I just don't understand how that happens? How they are fine for weeks, and then they just die. I check on them 4-5 times a day and spend at least 15 minutes with them to check them out and handle them a bit, and this one seemed fine at 10am, and was dead at 2pm.

~Kristen

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry about the sudden loss of the other chick. Did it have any pasting up? I'm glad that your little one is walking some better. Hopefully you can put them back in with the group soon--the quicker the better since around 5 weeks the pecking order has been established.

7. KHoward

Apr 28, 2011
    Boston
    Well, I honestly didn't think I would write this update, but she's walking again. I don't know if it was the Poly Vi Sol, or the eggs, or just time, but she looks "normal" today. I brought two more into the crate yesterday and I will bring her and the other three back to the brooder in a day or two.

I just wanted to give the good news update!

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Thanks for the update, and I'm glad to hear that she is doing much better.

9. AnonPaperclip

AnonPaperclip Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2017
    I know this was posted almost 3 years ago, but I'm glad your chick can walk again. I've had the same problem and need some advice. How often did you feed your chick hard boiled eggs, and how much vitamin water/Poly Vi Sol were you giving them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by