Two week old chick cheeping all the time! Is she sick or just loud?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jaybme, Aug 15, 2008.

1. jaybme

jaybme Chillin' With My Peeps

I have three silkie chicks in a large rabbit cage in my house. They have heat, water and food, and a variety of things to climb on which I change daily. They do not hang around the light particularly, and seem to be energetic in their efforts to figure out pecking order LOL

This one chick cheeps/chirps constantly! Like one of those chinese store cricket cheepers, light activated! It is not the alarm cry of too hot/cold/hungry but it is not a happy sound, it is fast repeated chirps, maybe 3-4 cheeps per second, over and over.

Is this normal? Is she just a talker or is she sick?

One of them does have diarrhea- but I have not yet seen who it is. Brown and almost thick, no white.

They all had pasty butt, and she just has not gotten over it. Treated pasty butt with yogurt and butt washes, and I gave vitamin water for a while, then switched to plain water with oxine in it. I also tried poly-vi-sol for their bent toes, but through all the diarrhea has persisted, not changed. The chirping is new though, the last few days.

What should I do? I am new to chicks, and do not want her to suffer with diarrhea, not to mention she might stop chirping. Any suggestions for A) Diarrhea and B) constant trill of chirping?

Thanks!

2. bluie

bluie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    We have two silkies in a mixed flock of 4 week olds. The white pullet makes a lot of noise, more than any of the others. She peeps loud when cold, hungry, scared, lonely, etc. She is a real princess.

3. denasfarm

denasfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Sweet Home Alabama!!
    A couple of our silkies are real talkers. They follow us around and fuss loud and constant...expecting us to bear gifts of treats anytime we are near.
    If its seems normal otherwise I think you just have yourself a Diva.

4. LaDeja

LaDeja New Egg

Jul 9, 2008
    Heat, water, food, o.k.- how about drafts? Is it drafty? How old are they?

5. jaybme

jaybme Chillin' With My Peeps

No drafts. They are two weeks or so.

I went and picked her up again, and she may not be the only one with the diarrhea, as another one still seems to have pasted up.

Help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by