Two week old chick stumbling

uisceros

Chirping
Jun 2, 2022
Massachusetts, USA
Hi everyone, I am incredibly new to keeping chickens. I got my first day old chicks on May 17th. I bought them through mypetchicken.

I had one die after a day (no clue why), but the rest have been healthy (except for some mild pasty butt). I even just bought two additional wyandottes from a local feed store.

However this morning I noticed one of my chicks (blue Ameraucana) looked like she was dust bathing in her bedding, and then was stumbling all around. I immediately picked her up and she seemed to get better, but I’m concerned now. She is Marek’s vaccinated, and I’ve been feeding them medicated chick feed.

My set up is a large pop up brooder (hen pen from mypetchicken), with large flake pine bedding. I have two water dishes (one with plain water, one with an electrolyte/probiotic mix) that I change daily, and two heaters (a eco glow and a cozy coop). I also provide them with grit in a separate dish). I just purchased an additional pop up pen to give them more room.

All the chicks (save the two I bought at the feed store) are Marek’s vaccinated.

I’m probably being paranoid, and they’re literally just trying to dust bathe and got all dizzy from it, but I’m still nervous.

Any ideas? Thanks!!

Can you identify the chick you saw stumble? Can you keep an eye one it for a bit to see if this was just a stumble or if this is something such as weakness and failure to thrive?

Are you in the US?

Can you identify the chick you saw stumble? Can you keep an eye one it for a bit to see if this was just a stumble or if this is something such as weakness and failure to thrive?

Are you in the US?
Hi, thanks for responding!

I can identify her - she’s my only Ameraucana, which makes things easier. I’ll keep a close eye on her. I honestly might just be over reacting, because she seemed fine within a few minutes. I’m just nervous since losing the other chick early on.

I am in the US, Massachusetts specifically.

If the chick stumbles some more or seems sleepy on its feet, try warm sugar water dripped onto the side of its beak.

Poultry Nutri-drench is especially helpful in these cases of a weak chick. Everyone should have a bottle. It's a life saver.

If the chick stumbles some more or seems sleepy on its feet, try warm sugar water dripped onto the side of its beak.

Poultry Nutri-drench is especially helpful in these cases of a weak chick. Everyone should have a bottle. It's a life saver.
I appreciate all the help! Luckily the chick appears normal today. Hopefully it was just a one time thing, but I will definitely pick up a bottle of nutri drench. Thanks for the recommendation!

Back
Top Bottom