Two week old chicks and new babies!! Same brooder???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Yardbirds286, May 14, 2010.

1. Yardbirds286

Yardbirds286 Songster

Jan 7, 2009
    Western Mass
    I have two, 2 weeks old BR's, and I am getting 6 more, standard chicks this week. BO's and BA's. I am new to this so I want to do the best I can for my chicks. My question is should I put them all together in a new BIG brooder, or keep them separate for a week or so until the new babies are settled from being shipped and eating well? Is it better to introduce them as young as possible? Or wait until they are 3 weeks and one week old? I have had a few suggestions already but I am still uncertain about this situation. Any ideas would be great.

2. Gonzo

Gonzo Songster

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    I would seperate them. the smaller guys will probally be picked on.

3. Yardbirds286

Yardbirds286 Songster

Jan 7, 2009
    Western Mass
    What age would be a good age to put them together? My thought was the bigger they are the harder it will be.

4. nelgkel

nelgkel Songster

Apr 14, 2010
    FL
    when I went to the chicken farm...he told us that we could put them together if they were within one month of age...
    if it were me I would try now as it would be easier the younger they are...I would think...
    I am not experienced though, look forward to reading other answers from experienced chicken owners

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    My hatchery says that you can put them together with a three week age span. I think they'll be fine....just keep your eye on them for a bit though....

6. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I hatch alot, and have many that are a week apart, 2 weeks apart, etc. What I do ..... I keep them alone for a week (because they sleep alot and are more fragile). Then, I put them together, up to about 2 weeks apart in age. 3 weeks would probably be okay, but I would watch carefully and see how they do.

7. whytedragon

whytedragon Songster

Sep 27, 2009
    Floresville, Texas
    I put some of my chicks together in with Silkie chicks, and they did fine for weeks. But I had Orpingtons with the Silkies, and the Orps were pretty calm. I wouldn't trust my Production Reds or Mixed Standards with my Silkies though when they get a bit older...they're so fiesty!
    The Orps never pecked at my hands, but the mixed and PR's do!

8. Yardbirds286

Yardbirds286 Songster

Jan 7, 2009
    Western Mass
    Great advice. I really appreciate the response. They will be almost exactly 2 weeks apart in age. The chicks I have now are a week old yesterday. I was wondering about the difference in temp. as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by