Two Week Old Chicks and patchy feathers/eyes that look a bit crusty?

izzabee2

In the Brooder
Sep 3, 2020
Hi there!

We are first-time chicken owners and have five, two-week-old chicks (Buff Orpington, Welsummer, Blue Ameraucana, Splash Ameraucana, Golden Laced Wyandotte). Two of them seem to have a crusty eye with feathers around it that look a bit matted, the eyes are pretty open and look otherwise clear. We have been holding a warm wet cloth to the eyes a few times a day. Anything else we should look for or treat?

All of them appear to be losing some feathers and are looking pretty scraggly. I ASSUME this is normal as they are getting their feathers and losing the down but I am a bit nervous nonetheless.

Despite the eyes and the poorly-looking feathers they are active, eating and drinking well, and seem generally pretty happy!

What bedding are you using in the brooder? Perhaps that's causing some irritation if it is too dusty?

As long as they are just losing down then I wouldn't worry. They'll look quite scruffy between now and a month old when they'll be reasonably well feathered. As they grow they do a juvenile molt too so don't worry if they seem to be losing some feathers over time as they grow.

Back
Top Bottom