Two Week Old Duck With Spraddle Leg Now Lopsided

hayleygordon007

Hatching
Jan 10, 2021
I picked up 2 week old Peckin ducklings from the feed store and when I got home I noticed one had spraddle leg (we call him Wobbles). I made him a hobble and it seemed like he could start walking for a day.

But now he has gone lopsided. He uses his good foot to move and uses his other a like a peg leg. His good leg also looks like it's starting to face inward. His bad leg doesn't bend at the foot, he stands on it at his duck version of a knee.. and the foot is shriveled looking. See picture.. He has been using the side of the bin to keep one side up.

I have been giving niacin in brewers yeast for the past three days. Im going to give him some swimming sessions. Wondering if any of you have any advice for helping this little fella.

Should he get another hobble? Any good physical therapy beside swimming?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20210110_134553.jpg
    20210110_134553.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 80
  • 20210110_134546.jpg
    20210110_134546.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 31
  • 20210110_134540.jpg
    20210110_134540.jpg
    897.8 KB · Views: 29
Unfortunately, it appears the duck may be suffering from slipped tendon. That can be characterized when there is swelling, inflammation, and frequently rotation in the intertarsal leg joint. The prognosis for these birds tends to be poor, especially as they age, as the bones become more swollen, painful, and impossible to correct via an external coaptation device. There are surgeries available for birds such as yours, but will likely be pricey, and still may not provide a good outcome.

1610324876149.png

If effort wants to be put in prolonging their life, emphasis should be put on providing alleviation to their legs, ensure she is being fed a complete nutritional diet, as well as ensure secondary problems don't develop.

Prolonged, excessive pressure on her hock joints can cause degradation to the squamous epidermis creating sores, allowing bacterial penetration. Ensuring the duck is being housed on a soft padded substrate, and allowing her to swim in water daily will be beneficial in the long run. Putting birds in a sling may allow further alleviation of the leg. Nutritional deficiencies such as niacin can promote slipped tendons in birds. Ensuring the duck is being fed a diet formulated for waterfowl, or all poultry, and supplementing with a niacin supplement would likely be helpful as well.

http://www.poultrypedia.com/poultry-podiatry

Unfortunately, it appears the duck may be suffering from slipped tendon. That can be characterized when there is swelling, inflammation, and frequently rotation in the intertarsal leg joint. The prognosis for these birds tends to be poor, especially as they age, as the bones become more swollen, painful, and impossible to correct via an external coaptation device. There are surgeries available for birds such as yours, but will likely be pricey, and still may not provide a good outcome.

View attachment 2484283

If effort wants to be put in prolonging their life, emphasis should be put on providing alleviation to their legs, ensure she is being fed a complete nutritional diet, as well as ensure secondary problems don't develop.

Prolonged, excessive pressure on her hock joints can cause degradation to the squamous epidermis creating sores, allowing bacterial penetration. Ensuring the duck is being housed on a soft padded substrate, and allowing her to swim in water daily will be beneficial in the long run. Putting birds in a sling may allow further alleviation of the leg. Nutritional deficiencies such as niacin can promote slipped tendons in birds. Ensuring the duck is being fed a diet formulated for waterfowl, or all poultry, and supplementing with a niacin supplement would likely be helpful as well.

http://www.poultrypedia.com/poultry-podiatry

Hi just wanted to thank you for answering. Tough news to read but wobbles is still wobbling around and we are keeping him comfy. Thanks again!

I picked up 2 week old Peckin ducklings from the feed store and when I got home I noticed one had spraddle leg (we call him Wobbles). I made him a hobble and it seemed like he could start walking for a day.

But now he has gone lopsided. He uses his good foot to move and uses his other a like a peg leg. His good leg also looks like it's starting to face inward. His bad leg doesn't bend at the foot, he stands on it at his duck version of a knee.. and the foot is shriveled looking. See picture.. He has been using the side of the bin to keep one side up.

I have been giving niacin in brewers yeast for the past three days. Im going to give him some swimming sessions. Wondering if any of you have any advice for helping this little fella.

Should he get another hobble? Any good physical therapy beside swimming?

Thanks!
How is Wobbles? I have a three week old with a very similar issue I am trying to rehab

Back
Top Bottom