Two white chickens, what breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Twelve Palms, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Twelve Palms

Twelve Palms In the Brooder

Mar 8, 2010
    Hello, I have two white chickens which (I'm pretty sure) are not the same breed. They are both females--one 5 months old and one 3 months old. I've attached photos of them. Only one photo of the 5 month old girl and three photos of the 3 month old girl. Thanks, Judith
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Songster

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    The first one is likely a white rock.

The second one is an EasterEgger.

3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Top one looks like a Leghorn. Bottom one like an Easter Egger.

4. rsf31tmp

rsf31tmp Songster

Mar 17, 2010
    Rochester, IL
    I second that!

5. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Songster

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    A.T. Hagan :

Top one looks like a Leghorn. Bottom one like an Easter Egger.

The comb's not very big - pretty small - that's why I say WR.​

6. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I would say that first one is a White Rock also. She seems too deep bodied to be a Leghorn, plus not much comb for one either and the head is wrong.

7. Twelve Palms

Twelve Palms In the Brooder

Mar 8, 2010
    Wow, thanks for your help. Somewhere I was reading that leg color could help identify and it was referring to white chickens...I just can't remember where I saw that explanation. Anyway, the first photo chicken (White Rock?) (possible Jersey) has yellow legs. The other chicken has tan"ish" legs??? Also has a "rose" comb, I think. Tell me about easter eggers. J

8. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Ah, I did not catch the one in the first photo is five months old. I'll change my vote to White Rock then. A Leghorn would have a big comb by then.

Easter Eggers can be a mix of anything that is carrying the blue egg gene. Many hatcheries/feed stores and so on often confuse them with Araucanas, and Ameraucanas both of which have specific breed characteristics. Easter Eggers can be anything so long as they are carrying the blue egg gene.

9. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I had another light go off ding her earlobes are red too = White Rock.

Oh, and I don't think anyone is going to dispute the second one is an Easter Egger.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  10. Greendecember

Greendecember In the Brooder

Dec 21, 2010
    Oklahoma
    A.T. Hagan :

Ah, I did not catch the one in the first photo is five months old. I'll change my vote to White Rock then. A Leghorn would have a big comb by then.

Easter Eggers can be a mix of anything that is carrying the blue egg gene. Many hatcheries/feed stores and so on often confuse them with Araucanas, and Ameraucanas both of which have specific breed characteristics. Easter Eggers can be anything so long as they are carrying the blue egg gene.

The Easter Eggers explanation in relation to the feed store was VERY insightful! Thank you!

I watched a shipment of chicks come in today and 3 ladies at the feed store whip out a book and make their best guess at what the chicks were. The hatchery just listed them as hatchery choice strait run.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: