Two year old chickens not laying?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Sherriekim, Oct 21, 2007.

1. Sherriekim

Sherriekim Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Southwest Idaho
    I just got an e-mail from a lady who wants to know if I would like four RIR hens who hatched in April of 2005 who are no longer laying. I know chickens slow down as they get older, but wouldn't it be more likely that two year old hens are responding to change in weather and/or molting rather than done laying eggs "forever" as she seems to think. I really don't need more hens, but I hate to see her part with these chickens if they have just slowed down. Most of my hens are pullets, but I do have two three old bantys and one who is at least four, maybe even five, (she's a great broody) and they all do lay eggs, just not every day. Anybody with more experience care to offer an opinion/advice?

Oh, crud! I should have posted this is the chicken behavior & egglaying forum! Sorry, moderators, I never seem to get it right. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2007
  2. Mac

Mac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    South Central PA
    I have 5 RIR's that are 3.5 years old. Before the weather got cool they were laying an egg each day. I'm no expert, but to stop laying at 2 years seems off.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

My original flock members are two years old and they are molting right now; still, they are laying for the most part, regularly, except for one or two. I bet hers are reacting to the season and are just taking a break.

4. Sherriekim

Sherriekim Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Southwest Idaho
    Thanks for the advice, that's exactly what I was thinking. She is aware they may start laying again this spring, but would still like to re-home them. I did offer to take them, but told her I was happy to wait if she wanted to try to sell them first. As I said, I have plenty of hens, but I'm a sucker when it comes to homeless chickens. I just wouldn't have felt right taking her chickens if she had thought they were done laying for good without pointing out they would most likely lay eggs again.

5. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    I only have one chicken that has actually STOPPED laying - our first Silver Phoenix hen hasn't layed an egg in about a year. I think it's a reproductive problem. (well, yeah, DUH) She shows no sign of any related health issue...just doesn't lay anymore. She's just over 2 years old. Good thing she's pretty and sweet!

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

My nutty Blue Orp, Velvet, stopped over a month ago and she only started laying a few weeks before that. She's just 9 months old, so I have no clue. The older ladies are really outdoing her.

7. cheapcheap_jeepjeep

cheapcheap_jeepjeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Villa Grove
    Well my 3 RIR/sexlinks and not laying and seemed to stop about a month ago. They are about a 1 yr. I guess and molting so I hope the start back up soon. I am only getting one egg a day from my EE. I REFUSE to go buy eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by