1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Two year old hens not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Marcie, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Marcie

Marcie New Egg

Jul 4, 2008
    I have had cross Rhode Island Red Hens, about 20 and then 10 white laying hens that were producing 25-30 eggs a day. About 3 weeks ago they quit laying. We are down to 5-7. There has been some temperature change and I noticed the white hens are molting. We have not changed the feeding schedule, I feed a well balanced compu-lay, and no new chickens have been introduced. Can't figure out what is wrong. Thanks for your help

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Temp could be a factor, has it gotten hot?

3. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    From what I understand, they do not lay during molt. Mine have had me wondering if they were molting, quite ugly really. They usually are missing feathers from their backs but now I see them on their necks and thighs. I am down to 3 or 4 eggs per day now. Mine were only 14 months old when I saw the missing feathers so I am not sure if mine are in molt now or not. That would be the cause of the drop in egg production though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by