Two young folks that are curious

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by barrettdrka, Nov 26, 2011.

1. barrettdrka

barrettdrka Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2011
    We have had chickens now for about 4 months and really enjoy it! My wife and I would like to try and incubate some eggs just to practice before the spring time. We would like to find someone who has some free or really really cheap hatching eggs to try this with, as we cannot sink a lot of money into it right now. We have all of the equipment (incubator, etc.). We live near Athens, GA. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  2. Josie360

Josie360 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Central Texas
    Hi, Welcome to BYC.[​IMG] Maybe try placing a wanted ad in the Farm & Garden section of your local craigslist? That way you can avoid the cost and risk of shipped eggs...

3. rarely bored

rarely bored Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2011
    Central California
    Some stores sell fertile eggs. There are some threads somewhere around here that discuss what stores and how well the eggs did.

If anyone is advertising farm fresh eggs in Craigslist, you could call and ask them if a rooster is in with the hens.

You could also go to the part of the forum where you meet people who live near to you - Where am I? where are you! - and see if some nice BYCer can help you out.

If you can hold off until Dec 11 to set, you can join the New Year's Day hatch... [​IMG]

4. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Trader Joes grocery stores and Whole Foods grocery store sell fertile eggs!

5. barrettdrka

barrettdrka Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2011
    Thanks for the welcome! We have truly found our nitch

As for Trader Joe's-- I think my wife was ready to kill me after asking for fertile eggs at the store, because the folks acted like she was being some type of sicko... they had NO clue!

I have posted on the "where are you" forum in hopes of making a connection. Any other suggestions I am willing to try!

Maybe this time I will go about doing it myself before my wife 'mistakenly' puts my butt on the chopping block instead of the rooster next time!

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I googled "athens ga health food stores" and got quite a list. I'd call around.

7. TheHalfWayCoop

TheHalfWayCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Campbellville Ontario
    I would post a wanted ad on your local kijiji/craigslist, or if you're out where folks have fresh eggs signs, maybe you could ask if they're kept with a rooster? If your local farmer's market is a true farmer's market, some vendors might have fertile eggs as well, or you could ask if they have any they could bring in for the next market. Check and see if there's a poultry swap website for your area, our area has one and they're always listing fertile eggs/chicks/chickens.

Good luck!!

8. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Most feed stores have a bulletin board. Just put your request up there.......Pop

9. billiejo21

billiejo21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I agree with PP's...check craigslist and respond to a farm fresh eggs ad, ask if they keep a roo with their hens...if they do, you can hatch for a couple bucks! Good luck!!

10. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Take a country drive, you'll find lots of signs for farm fresh eggs. Here where I live Amish sell eggs for 2$. Most anyone selling eating eggs has a rooster or 2. Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by