Two young hens, same injury to skin on head. Help.

Chickittymel

In the Brooder
Jul 25, 2018
So, I am having the worst time with the last batch of chickens I bought. We’ve had mysterious missing birds, a round of cocci that killed all but one of my silver laced Cochins (and he had it too but survived) and now this new injury that has occurred two times in two days. Please help. Until this group of chickies I thought I was a good chicken mom.

Both my Light Brahma and my Ameraucana have had the back of their heads (feathers and skin) ripped off. The Ameraucana (Snow....has a sister flake) is doing well but the light Brahma (which happened sometime today) will likely not make it.

But, the question is: how do I best keep this clean? What can I put on it? I read that I can’t use a “-caine” product because it’s bad for the chickens. Will the skin regrow (there is nothing there now, not even to fold back) or am I just torturing my birds? If the skin grows back, any chance they can refeather?

Snow is up and eating and drinking. Her injury happened sometime yesterday.

Changa(the Brahma) is barely moving but is definitely still in shock. Her injury is exactly like Snow.

I have to do something because the only vet that can treat chickens hasn’t been successful yet with the other three I had taken to her.

Also, and finally, what the heck could be doing this to my birds? At first I thought it was one of my very mean hens. She destroyed a chick from this batch when I first tried to introduce them. But the injury was not to just the head, it was all over the younger chick.... Speckle obliterated the young one. Also, Speckle has only ever attached in the run, never while free ranging, son i was thinking that maybe it’s not Speckle attacking my younger chicks. So, any thoughts on what this could be? Snow was attacked in the run while Changa was attacked while free ranging.

Please help? I’m a frantic and desperate chicken mom at this point. I don’t want to lose another “kid” but can’t protect them if I don’t know the monster!

Also, just ran to check on Changa and she took a little sip of water finally.

Attachments

• 337E9C79-A6AB-4207-AE74-C7E134189645.jpeg
    337E9C79-A6AB-4207-AE74-C7E134189645.jpeg
    330.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 0AFC4E82-9DD1-46E4-8FCA-FA0F5D9D3CE2.jpeg
    0AFC4E82-9DD1-46E4-8FCA-FA0F5D9D3CE2.jpeg
    385.3 KB · Views: 7
But, the question is: how do I best keep this clean? What can I put on it? I read that I can’t use a “-caine” product because it’s bad for the chickens. Will the skin regrow (there is nothing there now, not even to fold back) or am I just torturing my birds? If the skin grows back, any chance they can refeather?
Also, and finally, what the heck could be doing this to my birds? At first I thought it was one of my very mean hens.
I'm sorry about your chicks.
You can use triple antibiotic ointment, Blu Kote or something like Vetericyn on the wounds.
Keep them separated out, warm and hydrated. Watch to see that they are eating a little after they are drinking.

How it happened, well, you may never really know unless it was seen. I would suspect that if they are with older hens, that would be the cause.

Sometimes chicks need to be older in order to survive integration if you have some bossy hens.

In my experiences stuff will heal up without much intervention. I would give them time and see. Generally wounds on the back of the head is caused by other chickens pecking a submitting bird who unfortunately gets cornered. Since they look like young birds that would be my guess.

Back
Top Bottom