1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Txas A&M Quail just laid their first eggs!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by buttercup95, Jul 30, 2013.

1. buttercup95

buttercup95 Songster

Jul 24, 2013
    Northern Cali
    My quail just turned 7 weeks as of today and I walked out to find five eggs in with my 9 quail hens. I want to breed them but I know I have to wait before adding any males. I also know that I will only need two males to breed them all, but I have 11 so I think I'll just pick out the best looking males and make sure their fertile before eating the rest. My main question was about whether I should incubate or should I wait and see if they sit in their eggs. They were all hatched via incubator and I love how docile they are. I wouldn't say friendly but they just wait for me to put them in their pens if they fly out. Also how long should I wait to put the two males in? Would a week be sufficient or should I play it safe and wait two? I just want to start breeding as soon as possible with winter right around the corner.
    [​IMG]
    Yeah my dog and chicken decided to photo bomb me at the last minute

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Crowing

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    Congrat's[​IMG]

3. StewedMammal

StewedMammal Songster

Feb 19, 2013
    Pembroke, MA
    You can wait the week, by then they should be fine having the males in with them. Congrats

4. buttercup95

buttercup95 Songster

Jul 24, 2013
    Northern Cali
    Thanks I had pretty much decided on that. I just wasn't sure if I had to wait longer but it sounds like they go into a routine faster than chickens. probably due to a shorter life span and the fact that mine were bred for this kinda thing

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: